Car Turned off Randomly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Turned off Randomly

Hello all, I was driving yesterday night coming down a mountain when my car suddenly turned off because there was no power and brake started to get hard after pressing on it. When turning the car on it cranks but does not start, I tried several times and sometimes it seems like it turns on but just keeps cranking. Any ideas what could have happened? Did not hear anything happening in the engine bay when it first turned off.

Crank position sensor? Timing belt? ECU exploded into a million pieces?

It's a mystery.

Comment

Fuel pump

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

1991 318i M42 Timing chain, I hear the fuel pump engaging. Going to check the relays thinking maybe the main relay.

Comment

If not relays check to see that you are getting fuel on the engine side of the fuel filter (under the car on the drivers side in front of the rear wheel). Either by opening a line, or just smelling the exhaust after cranking.

Then check proper alignment via the crank vibration dampener tooth with the dimple on it to the arrow on the lower timing cover and that the cams are pointed up and towards each other (like / \), with rear squares flat. Wiggle the vibration dampener while you are there, as they are elastomer and can separate.

Beyond that you could have had a coil driver failure, which you might check by seeing that you at least have spark.

Comment

Check to make sure fuel was coming out and it was, checked the relay or well I had another relay from a m30b35 engine same relay laying around didn't work but might just buy a new one, put new spark plugs and tested to make sure a spark was coming out but still isn't starting on. Will check on the alignment and see if that is the problem.

Comment

Stomp test is showing 1444 which is no failures.

Comment

Crank Position Sensor - 546 ohms
                Cam Position Sensor - 1258 ohms
                Compression in each chamber starting from first - 110, 107, 115, 115
                Opened up valve cover gasket and looks like no teeth have been skipped either.
                Sprayed some starter fluid but still doesn't help out.

Comment

Check your fuseable link, in the small wire coming off the battery + terminal. Possibly blown.

Thread with a similar issue.
                  Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.
                  1990 325i: slippery slope from DD/DE car to SE30/ITS
                  1991 318is: raw DD
                  2004 330i zhp: civilized daily driver

Comment

Id try another ecu if possible along with new main and fuel relays. Been in this situation with my eta before, rpms would drop to 0 on the gauge even if the car was in gear and moving, or if i was cranking the engine. If the gauge doesnt turn off however Im thinking the problem is elsewhere.

Comment

CEL light works so i can rule out that fuseable link. Tested the fuel relay it clicks. When i pulled the spark plugs they were dry. Going to buy a fuel pressure test kit and try it out. Going to bench test the main relay as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X