Temp gauge going crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp gauge going crazy

Hi guys, I was driving around the city one day and I started to notice that my temperature gauge was going crazy and fluctuating. I have done some repairs on the coolant system like radiator, water pump, thermostat, water control valve, heater core, and I'm doing the fan clutch soon. Have any of your guys have this happen before on your m42? Or any ideas will help me out a lot!! I'll see if I can post a video of it to get a better idea.

So I just replaced the fan clutch a couple of weeks ago and it was doing good up until yesterday. The temp gauge started to go up again and fluctuating a lot more. So I bled the system just in case there was still some air in it and it did throw a lot of bubbles out so I did it for an hour till the bubbles stopped coming out. When that was all said and done I drove it and temp was fine for a bit then it jumped to 3/4 mark and past it then jumps back down some. So today I turned on the heater all the way up because it was acting up again and the temp started to go down and stayed a little past the halfway mark. In not really sure what could be causing that to happen.

Anything helps

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by e30m3ochoa; 03-01-2016, 10:41 AM. Reason: *****NEED HELP WITH THIS ASAP***** COOLING PROBLEM

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page

Here is the video for it. Hope this helps. Dont mind the music. Haha.

Comment

On the back of your temp. gauge there are 2(?) or so soldering points of contact that the back of your gauge touches. They are simply worn out and shallow enough to where the continuity (is that the right word?) isn't 100% consistent anymore. You need to just apply a bit of soldering to it so that it makes contact again and your gauge will now sit where it needs to be and stop waving hi all the time..

Did this a month ago to my friend's 318is in need.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
        On the back of your temp. gauge there are 2(?) or so soldering points of contact that the back of your gauge touches. They are simply worn out and shallow enough to where the continuity (is that the right word?) isn't 100% consistent anymore. You need to just apply a bit of soldering to it so that it makes contact again and your gauge will now sit where it needs to be and stop waving hi all the time..

Awesome, sounds good. Thanks for the advice man. I'll check them out when I have a chance and see if that fixes the issue. I'll post back when I get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post

Hey man, are these the solder points you are talking about?

Comment

Working...
          X