Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace vacuum hoses?

11/23/16 Update:

I've done A LOT of small restorations to this car since this original post - this weekend will be the mess under the intake and cleaning the injectors. Looking forward to cleaning everything up under there. I've got a silicon hose kit that I plan on using for the vacuum lines.

After clean and reinstalling my ICV with the old vacuum hoses, my idle is now worse than ever. I know I need to replace the vacuum hoses, but that's where I'm confused.

It seems the only options are to pay about $400 for all the hoses from the dealership, particularly the bespoke ICV ones, or tackle the "mess under the intake" hose delete job.

The first option seems ridiculous to me so I'm looking into doing the hose delete/rationalize, but I must admit being a little intimidated by it. Does anybody have a more definite guide than just "read the entire thread and pick through the replies"? I suppose I could manage with the helpful diagram that somebody made of all the hoses, but I dunno. Guess I'm just looking for some noob pointers on this stuff. Also don't know which hoses to buy! Would a silicone hose kit from here work okay?

Is there a way to fix just the ICV hoses? The top one is easy but how are people routing the bottom one?

Thanks for any replies. Looking to do this pretty soon as my idle sucks.
    Last edited by c0rbin9; 11-23-2016, 11:51 AM.
    1991 318is Brillantrot daily driver (slow restoration)

The mess replaces mostly coolant hoses. Vac. hoses are straight forward replace old hose with new. ICV hose can be replaced with straight hose to the bottom of the TB. Vac. hose from front of valve cover to the fitting on the bottom of the intake boot, straight hose again. Vac. hose for fpr is straight hose. The only hoses left are for the brake booster and 1 for the charcoal canister.

Vac. leaks can be from valve cover gaskets, intake manifold gaskets, bottom of dipstick tube, dipstick o-ring, tb gaskets, intake boot and its fittings, oil cap seal, also tb shaft seals. Anyplace unmetered air getting to intake will mess with the idle. The valve for the charcoal canister might not be closing when it should and you wouldn't know without testing the valve. Coolant temp. Sensor, there are 2, 1 for dme 1 for guage, can mess up the idle. The intake air temp sensor in the maf can mess with idle.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for the reply, this is exactly the kind of common sense stuff that a noob like me needs to see written down.

The plan for next weekend is to replace the ICV hoses and see what happens.

Also, code 1215 is on - it came on right after I reinstalled the ICV.

Does anybody know which way the ICV is actually supposed to be oriented? I have the arrow pointed up, with the plug closest to the firewall, but I've seen conflicting statements on this.
      Last edited by c0rbin9; 06-05-2016, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Arrow points to TB.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm doing a complete replacement as we speak I'll be a post later today but also make sure you use this for mess under the intake pic below

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          91 318is "under construction"
          2007 328i - daily
          sigpic

Comment

Every time I see my old diagram I just have to smile. Didn't realize it would be that helpful over time to the community.

M42s rule!

Comment

How to replace vacuum hoses?

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
              Every time I see my old diagram I just have to smile. Didn't realize it would be that helpful over time to the community.

M42s rule!

Thnx!!! I look at it about 5 times a day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              91 318is "under construction"
              2007 328i - daily
              sigpic

Comment

Bump. Doing the mess under the intake and injector cleaning this weekend with a silicon hose kit I got from Hi Performance. Any tips are appreciated!

I'll mostly be using the diagram posted above. I've also read through the original thread on www.m42club.com and feel pretty confident. I'm sure that will evaporate as the job progresses.

Comment

M42s rule!
                  Helped me out big time!

Originally posted by c0rbin9 View Post
                  Bump. Doing the mess under the intake and injector cleaning this weekend with a silicon hose kit I got from Hi Performance. Any tips are appreciated!

I'll mostly be using the diagram posted above. I've also read through the original thread on www.m42club.com and feel pretty confident. I'm sure that will evaporate as the job progresses.
                  I had a thread a few weeks back when I did my mess under the intake stuff http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=396810
                  When you put it all back together, assemble the lower manifold, injectors and fuel rail outside the car so you can bolt it all on as one unit. Made it heaps easier! (mike.bmw told me that)
                  Last edited by MouseRat; 11-25-2016, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Turned the last bolt a few hours ago. Everything went pretty smoothly, just didn't have enough silicon vacuum hoses and had to improvise. Eventually I'll get the proper hoses.

I assembled the lower manifold/injectors outside the car as per mike.bmw's recommendation in the other thread and also found it to be relatively painless. One puzzling thing I found is that if you snap the injectors all the way into the manifold, they don't snap securely into the fuel rail, and vice versa. Eventually I settled on snapping them into the fuel rail.

The silicon hose worked great for the most part. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I decided to replace the coolant return line with silicon, which consisted of spending 2 hours wrestling with trying to fit a 12mm hose over the considerably larger nipple on the reservoir. What eventually worked was stretching the hose and using a lubricant.

Before:

Coolant line using 8mm silicon hose (fit is nice and tight):

After:

I cleaned the manifold with EagleOne Etching mag cleaner from NAPA. Great stuff.

Comment

Car ran great for the trip around the block, revving it a little in the driveway and it immediately developed a bouncing idle. It surges pretty badly. All vacuum lines appear to be hooked up. Tried unplugging ICV, no difference. Any ideas?

Comment

Cleaned ICV and all seems to be well.

Engine runs noticeably smoother and more responsively after all that work. I'm sure it likes having resealed manifolds, tight vacuum hoses, and clean injectors. Really happy with how this one turned out.

Comment

So I have the same hose kit as you and I don't think they're are rated to hold any pressure from the coolant system, specifically from the block to the plastic pipe. I used the oem line that goes there, but I just re-angled it to fit. Not sure if this may cause an issue or not, but definitely something to keep in mind

My Daily Driven 318is

Comment

Oh hell no, don't tell me that!

The HPS website mentions using them for coolant, though obviously not for the coolant pipe. I also know of at least 2 posters on M42club using the same hose I am for the coolant pipe to block run. See thread:

Hope I'm right and you're wrong - thanks for the heads up though.

Comment

M42s rule!
                              Used it myself. Very helpful! Thank you Toaster!
                              Parts Collector and Former Houndstooth interior junkie.

Comment

Working...
                              X