Car just died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ibatic1 View Post
    The old starter worked fine on the bench test. Gonna pull the vc today and check for bent valves due to timing jump. Lets hope it is electrical. Couldn't really check for that last night in the parking lot during a downpour. Ill keep this thread updated with the directions i take the repair and what solves it.
    Just so you know, pulling the VC wont really show that valves are bent. You'd have to take off the head for that.

What you do want to look for is if the chain is noticeably disrupted (loose or broken) and you want to look at the cam lobes and make sure they are in 'sync'. You've seen pics of a 'in time' timing case, so if you see one cam 'ahead' or out of sync, you know the cams are out of time.

Also remove the chain tensioner just to be sure that it didnt blow up after your install. Im wondering if the retaining clip broke and the tensioner fell apart.

When I was doing my M42 rebuild, the cams would want to jump out of alignment, thats the point of zip tying the chain to the cam gears, etc. Or the point of the cam alignment tool. It holds the cams in place and prevents them from jumping out of alignment and time.

When you open the VC, theres no guarantee you will be able to see the arrows that are on the cam gear, so IF the engine isnt locked and you can rotate the engine, put cyl 1 at TDC. Then see what the cams' arrows look like. ('in time' means arrows pointing up, cyl 1 cam lobes pointing at each other at a 45 degree angle)

edit: If things look good from the top, you will need to dismantle the timing case to get a look at the other pieces, such as the idler sprocket and timing rails.
    Last edited by jaredmac11; 03-29-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

The upper cam shaft broke where the first lobe hits the first spring. Guides on the top of the chain and the first arm on the shaft closest to the chain look burned. The car seemed to be timed right. What caused this to break? I drove it to work and it died when i parked. No loud sounds or any signs of failure.

Comment

Got a new head for the car. I'm thinking the tensioner never fully seated with the snap ring and put to much tension on the camshaft. My fault. I learned from my mistake. I got the head pulled off last night. I am so thankful to be part of such a great BMW community here in Houston. I was able to find some chain guides and a idle sprocket and a head for a great price from a great guy. Going to hit this thing hard and finish it up tonight hopefully. Hoping I don't run into anymore brick walls.

Comment

Bad luck
          Originally posted by codyep3
          I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
          2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
          1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
          1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
          2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
          2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
          2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
          2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
          2010 F650gs twin
          2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

BMW wouldnt be fun if it was so easy... it'd be more fun if it was cheaper tho....

Comment

Car started and is running well. Head and timing job isnt a easy task for a weekend out of the blue, but i was blessed to have the tools, area, wisdom from others, and the ability to find the parts on such a short notice.

Comment

Working...
              X