upper oil pan install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upper oil pan install

hello everyone. i'm new to the site and the bmw world.
    anyway.....i picked up a 91 318is a few months ago that needed a lower and upper oil pan. now that i have the parts i am gonna tackle the job. it doesnt seem like a hard job but i was just wondering if i should watch out for anything. is it only a matter of letting both motor mounts go, lifting the motor enough to get the upper pan out and back in, and then drop the motor back down again?
    thanks in advance.

I hear there are two "hidden" bolts near the transmission bell-housing.... Try searching here and on m42club.com and you will find your answers.

Comment

It's just as easy as you just said. A messy job but not bad over all. Remember the new gaskets.

Comment

If its done while the motor is still in the car, you will have to remove the oil pump. If there are shims between the oil pump and block, be sure they go back in the same way. You can bu shims, but you would need to know a bit more to make it right.

Originally posted by vlad
        Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

You will need to put a small amount of silicone on the four corners where the metals transition from the block to aluminum on the upper pan.
          what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

also check your old bolts to make sure they aren't stripped, i've have bolts fall out of my upper pan due to that, thats no fun to deal with. i'de recommend all new bolts so you will never have to worry about it.

Comment

thanks for the tips. new bolts it is. will i have to remove the oil pump for sure? the motor is still in the car but i am gonna lift it as high as i can.

Comment

Comment

wow! thats sick. thanks for the link.

so based on what i have read, i have to move the motor forward a few inches away from the trans so i can get the two bolts off the back of the upper pan which attach to the bell housing? does this mean i have to unbolt the entire trans from the bell housing?

Comment

I didn't have to unbolt my trans. There were two access holes in the bell housing to get to the two bolts. You will need a fairly long socket extension to get them out and some patience to get them back in since you are basically doing it blind.
                    what you did to this car is like getting a supermodel naked and willing to do anything you please. now here you are faced with ths once in a lifetime opportunity and then you squander it by making her fuck you in the butt with a 24" strap on. you are a sad, silly little boy.

Comment

great i cant wait. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe318is View Post
                        If its done while the motor is still in the car, you will have to remove the oil pump. If there are shims between the oil pump and block, be sure they go back in the same way. You can bu shims, but you would need to know a bit more to make it right.
                        you shouldnt have to remove the oil pump. the M42 oil pump is in the front lower timing cover. It does not hang down into the oil pan like an M20.

Comment

With it in the car? I dont recall to be honest but im pretty sure i had to drop mine out to remove the pan while the engine was in the car.

Originally posted by vlad
                          Do you know anybody else who built that many bad ass E30s?

Comment

look on realoem

#2 is the pump. it slips over the crank snout.

you're probably thinking of #9, the pickup tube.
                            Last edited by 2002maniac; 03-21-2008, 12:25 AM.

Comment

got it half done today. super easy job. would have it complete but i had a small chunk of my block cracked off and had to JB weld it back in. hopefully it holds. also a few bolt holes are stripped so i'll have to tap them. should get her done tomorrow. i hope it doesn't snow again.

Comment

Working...
                              X