• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY for intake cam advancement?

Anyone?

Originally posted by Danny View Post
    Anyone?
    Gooood luck! I'd guess with the right special tool it wouldnt be too bad.. Have you looked in the E36 Bentley?

Comment

remove valve cover, loosen 4 bolts attatching cam gear to cam shaft. turn cam clockwise to advance

Comment

lol, having a motorworks shop do it. then its covered if something is wrong

Comment

Nevermind, I am a idiot. I wasn't thinking clearly, Duh!

Anyways here is a picture for reference.

Last edited by peerless; 08-22-2008, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Nevermind, bad post. (Shoots self in foot!)
            Last edited by peerless; 08-22-2008, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peerless View Post
              Look at the cam chain and gears and try to think of how you would adjust these gears independent of each other, you can't.
              You don't adjust the gear. Loosen the 4 bolts on the intake side, rotate the cam and re tighten the bolts. The gears stay fixed relative to each other. I've done it, its easy and theres not much to be gained here without a dyno at your disposal.

Comment

"I would recommend having a shop do this work. "

Comment

so it sounds like there is some actual usable power that you could move into the powerband from lower down. But wouldn't really kill your starts anyways or not so much because your launching at 4 anywho? I'm very interested in like 0-60 times between the two different cam placements, any thoughts?

Comment

From a 0-60 standpoint, here's what I do with my M42... I get out, lock the door, and then get in the M Roadster. Boom... 4.7 seconds to 60 just like that!

I love my e30, but it is what it is. My M Roadster will never hang with a turbo Viper. Lesson I learned a long time ago - there's always someone faster than you. Accept it and enjoy what ya' got :)

Adam
                    -------------------------------------------------
                    06 Z4 ///M Roadster (slightly quicker than the e30)
                    05 X5 (slightly roomier than the e30)
                    91 318is Alpine White (IS the e30)

Comment

alright first use a quarter to remove the bmw cover over the spark plugs. Then pop loose the spark plug wires and use same quarter to pry out the edges of the big plastic piece (that surrounds the wires) from the sides of the middle of the valve cover. Then you can remove the valve cover (pictured below!!!) take out all the bolts holding it on and dont forget the 2 in the middle. also take off the vacuum hose in the upper right corner (the one below is an e36 engine so its in a different place)

then slightly loosen the bolts on the front of the intake cam (the higher cam) that hold the gears on. (second picture) adjust using a crescent or whatever else wrench on the other end of the cam (there is a square part section on the end) There are no degree marks you will have to guess. im not responsible for you fucking up your car in any way

Comment

Working...
                      X