Strange Noises

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Noises

I'm not sure how many of you have read my thread over on M42Club, but I'll post it here too for good measure.

-Lots of clicks/clacks coming from the front left of the engine
    -I replaced the tensioner, noises still there
    -Took all of the timing covers off, and all of the chain guides are in tact and look to be in decent shape.
    -Took the lower pan off, and there's no chunks down there. I made sure all of the bolts were tight too.

Thoughts?
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Low oil? Who knows. Did you check your oil pump at least to make sure that that its not clogged at the mesh guard? Lifters also can be bad and will cause some chatter which is what my old head had a issue with.
    92 Granite Silver Vert
    M60B40 5spd

Comment

I don't think the screen is clogged. At least it didn't look like it.

How did you fix your lifters? I've heard ATF, with all of it's detergents, can clean them out if you run a half quart or so in your oil for a bit.
      Originally posted by Gruelius
      and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Well I don't know about fixing lifters I'd just replace them. I ended up buying a new head for my motor which was a rebuild since my head was also leaking oil from a slight crack where the timing chain tensioner goes. Mine were bad after long drives only though, They were LOUD. On m42club.com they talk about upgrading to VW light weight lifters and I mean if that is your problem I'd just upgrade to those you know why not?

Pull the valve cover and take a look inside of there some wear on a cam lobe can be from a dry lifter or something. If you changed the tensioner, checked the timing gears and such there isn't much else that can be causing the noise from that side.
        92 Granite Silver Vert
        M60B40 5spd

Comment

my m42 sounds worse than the old m10...

The sounds mine makes are similar to collapsed lifters... I get some connecting rod noise on start ups after it has sat for a while.

The m42 has its place, but it's not refined enough.

Comment

Working...
          X