Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coolant temp seems to dip slightly when using heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant temp seems to dip slightly when using heater?

I recently tore apart a good portion of my 318iS to replace most of the gaskets and remove the "mess under the intake manifold."

In doing so, some coolant drained out of the block but I topped it all off after putting everything back together...car drives fine, heats up like it should but it seems that when I turn on the heater (it still blows hot) the temp gauge moves a slight bit away from the middle mark...which I don't recall it doing before (but I only drove it 5 days before tearing it all apart to fix everything, so I'm not sure how it should behave).

Is this normal? Or maybe due to the fact I didn't bleed the cooling system?

It would make sense that turning on the heater would cause a very slight shift in coolant temperature, since that it just one more outlet for heat to escape from the coolant. I don't think you have a problem.

'88 325is
    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
    BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC View Post
      It would make sense that turning on the heater would cause a very slight shift in coolant temperature, since that it just one more outlet for heat to escape from the coolant. I don't think you have a problem.
      +1.

I have used my heater to cool the temperature of the engine in stop go traffic a couple of times, pointing at the windscreen with fan on full of course.
      ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

Working...
      X