Throttle Body Heater Delete - Issue - 1991 318iC M42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Body Heater Delete - Issue - 1991 318iC M42

Purchased a project 1991 318i Convertible with a bunch of known issues. Not a daily driver, just having fun with it.

Had a fuel leak that I traced to the 2 inch fuel hoses connecting the supply/return injector lines. While I had the upper intake pulled off, I figured I'd deal with the mess of hoses under the intake. Removed the throttle body heater, however - the hose that runs coolant from the nipple on the cylinder head to the throttle body was separated from the cylinder head, and filled with milky dried up sludge. Removed the lower intake, and to my surprise, the nipple on the head wasn't even there! Just a hole that was blocked with more dried up sludge. I took a drill to it, and right when I cleared enough of the dried up gunk to eliminate the pressure vacuum in the head, coolant started gushing out of the port where the plastic junction pipe is (I had it removed as I am replacing it).

Obviously, I cannot connect a hose to the head as there is nothing to mount it to. Anyone have an idea as to how I should deal with this? Preferably I would have ran a hose from the plastic junction to the head to complete the connection, but unless I can somehow install a nipple or attachment, I'm probably going to have to plug the hole. I attached a picture for reference.

Also... what would cause this to be missing..? Hahaha. Super strange. Thanks guys!

Here is what is supposed to look like, referenced from another M42:

Comment

It could have been blocked and corroded away. You don't need it to be open if you block it, but you'll have to cap the other port too. However, you can undoubtedly tap it and thread in a new nipple.

Comment

Working...
      X