Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very Heavy Clutch

Hey All,
    Recently replaced my worn out clutch on my e30 S52 swapped car. I installed a clutch masters cx300 which was probably overkill for this combo but I never wanted to have to do it again. Anyway the pedal is pretty heavy and I was wondering if an e36 Clutch master would help somewhat with this issue or if it even compatible with the pedal on an e30. Just to give full info, the car is a 91 318is swapped to a 98 s52 with the getrag 240, I installed a new LUK dual mass flywheel, cx300 unsprung clutch, the clutch master is new stock e30 as is the clutch slave cylinder.
    Thanks for any insite.

I was aiming for the RHD flywheel with the S38 clutch to avoid a heavy clutch pedal. If I remember reading correctly, an OEM 228mm sachs clutch will hold the power of an s52 without any issues. But if you are using the smaller 4cyl flywheel, I would get a 228mm flywheel from a 325i engine or the RHD flywheel.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts, I am running a stock 228mm flywheel from a e36. I have done a bit more research and found that BMW went to a. 88in diameter clutch slave cylinder while keeping the clutch master cylinder at. 75 inches. While that slave cylinder will not fit my transmission as it is a getrag, I did find that a 1990 bmw 535i has a. 88 inch slave cylinder that will (I think) just bolt to my getrag 240 I just ordered one and will share my results.

Comment

Originally posted by Slovik View Post
        Thanks for your thoughts, I am running a stock 228mm flywheel from a e36. I have done a bit more research and found that BMW went to a. 88in diameter clutch slave cylinder while keeping the clutch master cylinder at. 75 inches. While that slave cylinder will not fit my transmission as it is a getrag, I did find that a 1990 bmw 535i has a. 88 inch slave cylinder that will (I think) just bolt to my getrag 240 I just ordered one and will share my results.
        Interesting solution, I am curious as well. When you say 88in, is the 88mm?

Comment

. 88" stock is .81" only .07 difference but that is what bmw did. I have a 95 M3 that has a .88 slave cylinder and the clutch is much lighter than my e30. I'll let you know next week if it works.

Comment

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...+cylinder,2044

Click on the perfection clutch specs.

Comment

Just swapped out the clutch slave cylinder and FYI for the people that come across in the future. The 90 e34 535 slave cylinder does reduce pedal pressure to some degree, wish I had some means of measuring it but it did lessen the force needed to depress the clutch.
              BMW puts the spec of the e34 part at 22.2mm and the old e30 part at 20.64mm bore diameter. The new one one bolts on just as the old one did, no mods necessary.

Comment

Working...
              X