Getrag 240 difficulties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 240 difficulties

I have a 1991 318is with 140k miles on it. Clutch was replaced last year. Recently it’s been increasingly harder to get into first gear. It takes a few tries, but when it does go in, it slips right in. If I shift into another gear first and then go to first it seems to be okay. If I am downshifting to a stop it’s fine as long as I don’t release the clutch into neutral before going to first. If I really stand on the clutch it seems a little easier.

I noticed the clutch felt lower in first so the first thing I did was bleed the clutch line because it was free and easy. That made it a little better for about a week but it’s just as bad as it’s ever been. Has anyone had any experience with this before? It feels like the synchros are fine and it doesn’t pop out of any gears. I am wondering if I should try replacing the hydraulic line and the slave cylinder next.

Check the master and slave cylinder for leaks. One of them is giving up. Look for fluid or a wet seal on the "piston end" of either and replace accordingly.

Comment

Working...
    X