Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Hydraulic Clutch question....

I am banging my head against the wall with this:

Brake master, clutch master and clutch slave cylinder are all less than a year to two old.
    Last year I was chasing down a weak clutch and realized that the bracket was broken and it was flexing.

I welded it up and it's been great ever since, with daily driving.

Recently I started getting a little grinding when going into third.
    I thought that maybe the synchros were going out, as I felt I read it was common for 3rd to go, first, for whatever reason.

Then it moved, where I was having trouble getting into reverse, 2nd and 4th, and 1st, 3rd and 5th were fine.
    I realized it had to be either something with the linkage or the clutch.

First I power bled the clutch at 25psi. This seemed to help but didn't completely remedy the issue so I went ahead and removed the slave and bled it by hand.

This seemed to work at first, but within less than a day I was gradually having more and more trouble getting into gear.

I thought that I just didn't bleed it well enough so I bled the system again, with the slave off, watching the hose for air.
    I didn't see any air but again, it seemed to be fine, until later that day.....

I bled AGAIN with the slave off, also cycling the pedal, thinking that somehow air was in the clutch master.

Again, this seemed great, until very shortly thereafter and I am about in the same boat, again.

I am not leaking anywhere, everything is dry and tight.
    The levels in the reservoir aren't changing.

My thoughts are that somehow air is getting introduced through the clutch master.
    Maybe it was somehow damaged when the bracket was broken and it wasn't always cycling straight up and down?

I am pretty sure I have another new one on hand so I am going to try and out and see what happens.

Open to any suggestions as to anything I am not thinking of?

Have you checked the hose from the master to the reservoir? There is a small plastic fitting that pushes into the master that adjusts the angle and sends the hose out the firewall. If the hose is old or the fitting is cracked or even the gasket into the master you may have air being introduced there. When I tried vacuum bleeding mine after a swap I kept getting air pulled in there.
    84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
    Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Originally posted by iansane View Post
      Have you checked the hose from the master to the reservoir? There is a small plastic fitting that pushes into the master that adjusts the angle and sends the hose out the firewall. If the hose is old or the fitting is cracked or even the gasket into the master you may have air being introduced there. When I tried vacuum bleeding mine after a swap I kept getting air pulled in there.
      Yessir I did. I forgot to mention that part.
      Hose is new as well as the gasket (<1yr old).

I think I'm going to try swapping out the master with the brand new spare I have, I feel that when it was running a little cockeyed it may have damaged the one in there, now.

Comment

I was positive that the hose had been replaced but looking at it now, I am not convinced it was

It didn't look horrible but I went ahead and order a replacement, anyway.

I DID replace the clutch slave (I forgot how much of a pita getting that lower line started was) and it didn't seem to make much of a difference, although it did feel much stiffer at the slave end so, that's something.

Overall it didn't have much change.

I am leaning heavily towards a shifter issue, as it seems that it's not that it's not engaging, but it's not moving like it's supposed to.

I've been wanting to get a good body mount shifter, anyway, so this looks like the time to go ahead and do that!

Comment

Had a friend help and try to bleed the clutch tonight with 2 people, as opposed to one person with the power bleeder.

It definitely made a difference, but I feel like it's already getting worse, over time.

I've got a replacement hose on the way in case that's where the issue is.

I also realized today that I think my rear brake hoses are internally collapsing and I wondered if that could also happen with the clutch hose?

I'm going to replace all of them (brake/clutch) as a matter of course and see what happens.

Comment

Working...
          X