Channel in input shaft cover plate leaking oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Channel in input shaft cover plate leaking oil

So, I've been chasing a leak in my transmission -- figured it was the input shaft seal, but the unit had just been rebuilt, so that would be pretty strange.

After removing the transmission and changing the seal, I aimed to test the work by tiling the transmission forward about 45* to see if anything would leak out. Sure enough, it did, through a channel that resides toward the 12 o clock position of the input shaft cover. You can see it in the product pictures here: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...e/23111228228/ (second picture).

I'm pretty confounded. It seems like this location would _always_ be prone to leaking fluid, but it also appears to be by design. What is the deal with this channel?

Channel for helping oil lubricate the front side of the bearing, there's a hole on the gearbox side that lines up with it that opens up to the transmission case. That flange should have some form of flange sealant on it. Ie loctite 515
    Boris - 89 E30 325i
    84- E30 323i

Comment

Originally posted by bangn View Post
      Channel for helping oil lubricate the front side of the bearing, there's a hole on the gearbox side that lines up with it that opens up to the transmission case. That flange should have some form of flange sealant on it. Ie loctite 515
      Yes, I am truly dumb. I realized this soon after I posted this question. I went ahead and remedied it. Thanks for your help!

Comment

Working...
      X