CSB replacement question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSB replacement question.

I'm replacing my CSB and was wondering if any of you guys pressed the new one on yourself. I had a puller and got it off but the book sayd it needs to be pressed. Any ideas?

Im thinking about doing the u-joints too, should I be able to press these in/out myself also? I am very mechanically inclined, I put the head on this car so I am familiar with 'work'. I was just wondering about you guys' past experiance.

Comment

i found it was easier and cheaper to just buy the whole csb assembly. as for u-joints, i replaced mine, but was told that the driveshafts on these cars arent designed to be rebuilt.

i ended up pulling the driveshaft out and taking it to a driveshaft shop to be rebalanced. the balanced it and re-set the u-joints and tacked them in placed. cost me $80.

the only place i found a u-joint for it was checker auto parts. it was about $50 - $60. i installed it myself using a socket and a bench vise. wasnt hard, but also wasnt the best method. thats why i ended up removing the driveshaft and getting someone else with the proper equipment to do it all.

Comment

Yea, I just inspected mine and it has punch locks, not clip locks. I am just going to try it and see what happens. At the end I will re-punch the locks to secure the joints in place.

Comment

I just made sure that the bearing mounting surface was nice and clean, then took a punch and drifted it down into position. Then the dust cap, and the C clip.
          Works great, and no press needed!
          Slicktop City!

Comment

I decided to just take the driveshaft to a machine shop and have tham put in the u-joints. They are going to charge me 37.50 to change the joints and press the CSB. Cant beat that!!!! They did a GREAT job on my head and after I tipped him a 12 pack he was happy, so hopefully he will remember me and do a good job on the driveshaft.

Comment

sounds like a good deal

Comment

Well, after 3 days he finally called me and told me he couldnt put them in. I took it to a drivetrain specialty shop and they wouldnt do it either. He whacked on the joint a little and smoothed out the joint so I just put it back in. He said after time the joint caps spread out and wedge themselves against the shaft and cause a little roughness. After he tapped them they were smooth again. I put everything back together today and all is good........so far.

Comment

Any updates on this ???
                  :pimp:

Comment

You can tap the new CSB in place just make sure you tap on the inner race of the bearing and use light taps all the way around.
                    BTW does anyone know if I can run the CSB without the dust cap and c-clip? When I took my driveshaft out it didnt have one installed.

Comment

Working...
                    X