1-piece driveshaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1-piece driveshaft

Hey, ive read up on how complicated bmw made our driveshafts on our e30s as well as all the fixes ppl commonly have to deal with. I have not however seen anyone run a simplified 1-piece shaft and was wondering if anyone has seen someone run one on their e30? i know its 2 piece to compensate for fore-aft movement, and the balancer and flexplate are for vibration and torque dampening, But im thinking that a 1-piece will save a bit a reciprocating mass and weight. Im only a little apprehensive of the pinion angle being changed although i doubt it would be that big a deal considering how flat the driveshaft lays on the e30. Any comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

you would have to run solid sub frame bushings in the rear.

and how exacly do you plan to put this drive shaft into the diff then attach it to the trans?

think about it, it would be a major pita to modify everything for a 1-piece ds.

if you do this take lots of pictures
    -Andy

Comment

I'm reasonably sure that BMW would have used a one piece drive shaft had it been suitable. It would have been cheaper to use and easier to install at the time of manufacture. Trying to second guess the BMW engineers doesn't sound to me like a good idea.

The drive shaft has a reasonably long life (in excess of 100k) and if properly repaired when it does reach end of life is not a source of problems. The most common complaint is a failure of the CSB or guibo. While you can profitably replace just the guibo, if the CSB has failed replacement of the drive shaft is almost always necessary for a long lasting fix.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

i understand that the bmw engineers know a lot more than me and figured id get that response i just thought it would be an interesting discussion because of the benefits if it were feasible. But yes i agree it seems there would have to be a lot of custom pieces to make it work. I figured maybe the spec racing group might have a better or lighter substitute or modification to the stocker.

Comment

there are collapsing one piece driveshafts and they arent hard to install on e30s at all

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
            there are collapsing one piece driveshafts and they arent hard to install on e30s at all
            Do you have any articles or pictures of this collapsible driveshaft? does it just telescope???

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
              Do you have any articles or pictures of this collapsible driveshaft? does it just telescope???

Comment

Contact DSS. They have them, made to order. Expect to pay about 900 for it.
                My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
                There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Working...
                X