Replacing Diff bushing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Diff bushing question

Can you replace the diff bushing without removing the diff from the car?

I was wondering what would be needed to do this.
    03 M3 Vert
    89 325i

the cast aluminum is def. the weakness of the differential. The easiest way to replace the bushing is to take the whole rear cover off of the differential. The bushing is pressed into that cover. You will need an hydrolic press or at least a vise of some sort to press the old bushing out and press the new one in.

Taylor
    Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
    Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Thats what I figured. Thanks for the response
      03 M3 Vert
      89 325i

Comment

Yes, it is possible to replace the diff bushing on the car. I would recommend this route if you are going to install a polyurethane diff bushing, as installation of a polyurethane bushing is pretty easy in comparison to the stock rubber piece. If you're installing a new rubber bushing, just remove the rear diff cover.

You remove the top four bolts, the speed sensor plug, and the bolt that goes through the diff bushing, and lower the diff with a jack. Then, use a sawzall to cut the center of the bushing out, and notch the exterior metal ring with the sawzall, in one order two places, being very careful not to nick the aluminum cover. Using a sharp chisel, you can collapse the ring onto itself and remove it. This procedure takes all of 10 minutes. You can tap the poly bushing back into the cover with a hammer.

I just did this last weekend.

Originally posted by whysimon
        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
          Yes, it is possible to replace the diff bushing on the car. I would recommend this route if you are going to install a polyurethane diff bushing, as installation of a polyurethane bushing is pretty easy in comparison to the stock rubber piece. If you're installing a new rubber bushing, just remove the rear diff cover.

You remove the top four bolts, the speed sensor plug, and the bolt that goes through the diff bushing, and lower the diff with a jack. Then, use a sawzall to cut the center of the bushing out, and notch the exterior metal ring with the sawzall, in one order two places, being very careful not to nick the aluminum cover. Using a sharp chisel, you can collapse the ring onto itself and remove it. This procedure takes all of 10 minutes. You can tap the poly bushing back into the cover with a hammer.

I just did this last weekend.
          Well everything went ok. Used your instructions with the exception of taking my diff cover to a local shop and have them press out the old bushing. I used a powerflex yellow bushing as a replacement. Easy to put in.

Of course I spent damn near 3 hours trying to get those damn top 4 bolts holding the diff in place back in. They never seem to align properly. I bought a 5 dollar pump from the auto parts store to replace the fluid along with new diff gasket and plug gaskets. Thanks for your help!
          03 M3 Vert
          89 325i

Comment

Working...
          X