Clutch issue. Please advise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch issue. Please advise?

So I bought my friend's 1989 e30 325i coupe off of him the other day...haven't picked up yet but i've driven it back when he had plans to mod it. He changed his mind so I got a good deal.

However I remember one thing I noticed about the car. When I step on the clutch it seemed to have a litle "play" before I could feel the tension of disengaging the clutch. On my current e30 the clutch is stiff from the very beginning. On my friend's e30 it goes down for a bit before i feel any tension.

After doing a search some people have mentioned bleeding the master cylinder while others say it bleeds by itself so it's an issue with the cylinder itself, etc.. I'm wondering if my problem is something that falls in either category? Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you.

change the slave cylinder.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

I'm having this problem too. Are you 100% sure?

Originally posted by Janderson
      you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

When the seals start to go on the slave cylinders they either get really stiff or really soft. Mine did the same thing before it dumped brake fluid all over my clutch disc. Change it before you get to experience the wonders of a ruined clutch. $35 is a lot better than $200+

Moral of this story?

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
          Mine did the same thing before it dumped brake fluid all over my clutch disc. Change it before you get to experience the wonders of a ruined clutch. $35 is a lot better than $200+
          Gent's the slave cylinder is outside the bell-housing. Therefore if it fails the fluid is only going to end up on your drive way. Oh and the play you are felling could be a week pressure plate. How many miles on the current clutch?
          sigpic
          "But the way it deals with bumps and heaves makes you think the shocks are filled with unicorn farts and pixie tears."

Comment

Originally posted by handysmurf59 View Post
            Gent's the slave cylinder is outside the bell-housing. Therefore if it fails the fluid is only going to end up on your drive way. Oh and the play you are felling could be a week pressure plate. How many miles on the current clutch?
            Not if the inner seal around the push rod fails. ask me how i know. :)

Moral of this story?

Comment

well this past friday i had my clutch swapped with the clutch kit from bavauto. The guy forgot to put the slave back in and the piston got hyperextended and would not go back into the cylinder. After forcing it back in the boot ripped, so we were not able to bleed it.

The guy came back on sunday with another slave cylinder but did not have time to bleed it. The car is at my friend's place 45 min away and I'm going back this weekend to finish sanding the car for paint.

Hopefully that will eliminate the "play" i'm feeling but I'm not so sure b/c the clutch pedal itself sits noticeably higher than the brake pedal. It's very uncomfortable. I tried messing with the eccentric bolt at the top of the master cylinder and the pedal moved down a cm or so which made hardly any difference.

My friend said the pedal bracket seems to be fine w/out any bends. I'm hoping that swapping the master clutch cylinder this weekend will resolve the problem b/c it's driving me nuts. It's as thoug hthe pedal is stuck to my feet b/c when i take my foot of the pedal it follows me up unless i lift my entire leg up high

Comment

Working...
              X