Won't shift into 2nd, 4th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Won't shift into 2nd, 4th

1984 318. Just bought it and shifts into R, 1, 3, 5 fine but seems like its not getting full range of motion and wont shift into 2nd or 4th. Can this just be bushings or mounts? or signs of something worse? http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...93&hg=25&fg=05
    #7, the 'stop buffer' is shot and is allowing the whole plate to move side to side a lot. I tightened up everything else but it still doesnt seem like its getting enough range of motion to get into the 2nd and 4th gears. What can I do to figure out if my gears are bad orrrr what should I do??
    Originally posted by merrrr
    im just a nigga that loves titties

RIP

is there an adjustment anywhere?

RIP

Comment

I'm no tranny expert but IIRC 2nd and 4th are on the same shaft. maybe thats damaged or something. I think that requires a new tranny or a pro to work on it. I'm scared to crack open a tranny.

Comment

anyone have any ideas!?

RIP

Comment

this same shit happend to me years ago on my ix. The shift linkage was cracked.
          [IMG]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/

Comment

1+2 are on the same shaft and fork, and 3+4 share a shaft and fork.

Your problem sounds like a linkage or support failure, not something inside the transmission.

Comment

It may, or may not apply, to a Getrag 240 transmission, but on a Getrag 260 if the shift rod is installed on the wrong side of the shifter and selector rod it will hit the transmission when you attempt to engage 2nd & 4th. If anyone has done any work on the shifter recently that could be something to check out. Otherwise I'd suspect shifter bushings first.
              The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
              Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

nothing looks cracked or broken, the shift linkage actually looks newer. I dont know anything about the history of the car, maybe the linkage was installed incorrectly. What bushings are on the early 318's ? I dont see where I am getting all the slop from. From looking at this diagram, i think the linkage is on the correct side. Only things that seems worn is the #7 part, but I wouldnt think it would cause the tranny to not get 2nd and 4th

RIP

Comment

If your linkage is assembled like the IPB shows, that won't be the problem. However, if the bushings in part 16 or in the shift lever are worn, or if the bushing in the shift carrier where the shift lever rides are worn, or if the shift carrier is loose, that could explain the problem.

Get the car up in the air, have someone attempt to engage 2nd or 4th, and push forward on part 16. If pushing forward on that part engages the gear there is wear in the shifter.
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                    If your linkage is assembled like the IPB shows, that won't be the problem. However, if the bushings in part 16 or in the shift lever are worn, or if the bushing in the shift carrier where the shift lever rides are worn, or if the shift carrier is loose, that could explain the problem.

Get the car up in the air, have someone attempt to engage 2nd or 4th, and push forward on part 16. If pushing forward on that part engages the gear there is wear in the shifter.
                    I tried this tonight, no luck getting the car into gear. There is a lot of slop all over the place. I really dont know what I am looking for, and its a pain in the ass to see up in there and figure out whats not working properly.
                    I need to drop the driveshaft to get up in there and see whats going on, sucks now with daylight savings time its dark when I get off work.

RIP

Comment

don't want to hijack your post but i seem to have the same problem but can't seem to get 3&4 gear. my car is a 87325is. what should i look at for help on this?
                      thanks

Comment

Originally posted by paxmaster2000 View Post
                        don't want to hijack your post but i seem to have the same problem but can't seem to get 3&4 gear. my car is a 87325is. what should i look at for help on this?
                        thanks
                        If the other gears (R, 1, 2, 5) work fine, your problem is a worn out 3/4 shifter fork. This is easy to diagnose as a fork as linkage problem affects only the "outer" gears e.g. R and 5, or 2 and 4.

The easiest solution is to buy a good used transmission. A new fork is $125 and the labor to split the transmission case and replace the fork is at least two hours. A shop that hasn't done it before probably won't be willing to even try.

Comment

Don't want to hijack your thread but my 2nd and 4th are both hard to get into. I'm looking at replacing the bushings and related hardware relatively soon, but if that doesn't fix it....then fml.
                          Originally posted by csermonet47
                          Vlad, you are handling this quite unprofessionally.

Also, you are a cock with tacky taste.

That is all.

Comment

I have an 85 325e with the sheet metal shifter. I assume that since yours is an 84 it has the same. Look up where the shift linkage connects to the transmission. There will be two allen bolts on either side. Mine had the same shifting problem and when I got down there I discovered that they were loose and that was the only problem. Give that a shot and let me know how that goes.

Comment

Working...
                            X