I know nothing about flywheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know nothing about flywheels

If this has already been covered please point me to the thread, I searched and searched and only found one thread about shaving down flywheels.

So I am swapping engines and I have 2 spare flywheels and I thought that I would have one of those flywheels resurfaced and lightened and have it ready and waiting on the swap. However these two flywheels are different and I don't know which one is right. One is out of an 86es and the other is my original one out of my current car: 87 eta.

When I first got my car at 16 I didn't know squat about cars, especially flywheels. We took my car to a transmission shop and for some reason we had to get a flywheel out of a junkyard car because the transmission guy said my flywheel wouldn't work with the clutch/pressure plate that he had ordered, something about the parts for my flywheel weren't available.
    West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
    ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Nice paint job on that manifold!
    sigpic
    "But the way it deals with bumps and heaves makes you think the shocks are filled with unicorn farts and pixie tears."

Comment

the flywheel on the left looks to be a single mass flywheels so that's the one you'll need to shave and lighten and resurface if you want to use a getrag260 transmission

Comment

The manifold is a junk one that I was just playing with.

The flywheel on the right is the one that I had in my car originally.

Anyone know why a transmission shop wouldn't be able to use my original flywheel? I can't remember why but I had to get one out of a junk car.
        West German BMWs, they just don't make the same as they did before the wall fell.
        ^Case in point: Auto-Repair Technology. Everytime my car isn't starting or acting up I let it sit, sometimes for an hour, sometimes for days. But it eventually fixes itself.

Comment

I'm thinking that the transmission guy from years back couldn't get the clutch kit for my single mass flywheel, and instead got me a dual mass? or maybe it is the other way around? How do you tell the difference between single mass and dual mass flywheels?

Comment

i dont know why they woudlnt' be able to find a clutch for a single mass, but i'm no mechanic. To tell the difference is single mass looks like one piece of metal, dual mass looks like two pieces of metal sandwich together

Comment

You have to use a different pressure plate with one opposed to the other, the bolt holes are different.

Personally i would get the single mass one shaved down, it's already lighter. Just buy the clutch kit for which ever one you use. They will both work just with different parts.
              "We can't drink here.... This is frat country"

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber
              I'm gonna quote a lot of you later this year.

Comment

So this is twin mass correct?

And this is single mass? Right?

Comment

I bought my clutch/pressure plate from bavauto and when I asked them about the different flywheels they told me this:

e30s built before june 86 have single mass flywheels, all other have twin mass flywheels. Also it is not a good idea to try and lighten dual mass flywheels, however they didn't say why it is a bad idea.

Is this all right? Sounds questionable to me.

Comment

Working...
                  X