For those who want to refresh their factory LSD.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    Originally posted by shiboujin
    2.4? I've only been able to find 2.1mm dog ear plates and 2.0 clutch plates. Where?
    Call your local Porsche dealer; talk to the parts dept. They are happy to sell you porsche parts in exchange for your monies. Also check out the new 911 4s/turbo/gt3 Mono Lock wheel option. SO pretty.


    Custom steels are req; this allows you to perfect fit the LSD stack to handle any other wear.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    Originally posted by Wanganstyle
    Also have organic Porsche 2.4MM discs for those who want to get creative and run 2.4mm clutch discs
    2.4? I've only been able to find 2.1mm dog ear plates and 2.0 clutch plates. Where?

    Leave a comment:


  • Brew
    replied
    Since this thread popped back up, an update on this LSD:

    I started to notice the locking action starting to go away at an auto-x last fall. Its not gone, but I'm definitely getting some additional inside tire wheelspin while cornering hard.
    I suspect that increasing the pre-load with the thicker plates also increases wear. I think I'll end up upgrading to a 3 or 4 disc LSD, or maybe an OS Giken...

    Leave a comment:


  • george graves
    replied
    Originally posted by xwill112x
    why dont you just weld it?

    Leave a comment:


  • yanal
    replied
    And I thought I'm done spending money on my E30's !!!! Great info tho

    Leave a comment:


  • Wanganstyle
    replied
    I stock metal compound direct fit 188mm LSD 2.0mm Clutch discs if somebody wants better than bimmerworld or porsche (organic). you can do a 4 disc setup. Also 188mm steels in custom thickness-

    Also have organic Porsche 2.4MM discs for those who want to get creative and run 2.4mm clutch discs

    changing ramp angles must be ground on precision grinder; this is not nearly as easy as thought out to be. Ramps are hardened and cannot be milled traditionally; must be ground. It's cheaper to purchase a BMW motorsports asymetrical center 1.5 way ramp set if you want to go 1.5 way than grinding (and consuming in the learning process) ramps.

    Leave a comment:


  • Aleman
    replied
    Very informative thread! The pdf link is down, but here's another link to the write-up.

    Leave a comment:


  • 619E30
    replied
    Very helpful thread

    Leave a comment:


  • 2002maniac
    replied
    anyone know if parts are available for Type 168 diffs? I have a 4.45 I'd like to refresh.

    Leave a comment:


  • tweetyoost
    replied
    May i also conclude that the LSD unit of a 735i has a stronger breakaway torque then the LSD unit from a 325i ?

    Or are they exactly the same? and how do they make that stronger breakaway torque if yes?

    thanks
    Pieter

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I'm pretty sure the bimmerworld clutches would be much better. Stock is meant for daily use. bimmerworld clutches are meant for abuse.

    Leave a comment:


  • tweetyoost
    replied
    Originally posted by shiboujin
    I mean, you should def at least do the diff marker and make sure the teeth still align. From all the articles I've read, unless you mess with the rear pinion, shit shouldn't change and it should be plug and play.

    The porsche dog ears are 1.9-2.1mm thick. you picked the 2.1mm ones. They should give you slight mroe lock up. The friction disks would be better from bimmer world as they are actually made for aftermarket application.

    Oh yea. replace all the seals you can. it's just cheap insurance.
    Yup, I should check the teeth alignment to be sure and replace the seals. No special tools are required for this so it can be done by myself:)

    I would pick the 2,1mm plates to have better lockup indeed..

    I found a shop in poland (europe) that sells the porsche friction plates and dog ears for around 150 euro (2 x dog ear 2x friction disc) and shipping cost would be cheaper because I live in Belgium.

    Would there be so much differents between the bimmerworld aftermarkets and the OEM porsche discs?

    Thanks for this helpfull topic!

    Leave a comment:


  • drumad
    replied
    klajsdfl;kajs;dlfkj

    I was just going to replace my seals, but now I want to go do all of this.

    Thanks OP for extending my rebuild time.

    But seriously, thanks for the thread, this will just prolong my LSD.

    Leave a comment:


  • shiboujin
    replied
    I mean, you should def at least do the diff marker and make sure the teeth still align. From all the articles I've read, unless you mess with the rear pinion, shit shouldn't change and it should be plug and play.

    The porsche dog ears are 1.9-2.1mm thick. you picked the 2.1mm ones. They should give you slight mroe lock up. The friction disks would be better from bimmer world as they are actually made for aftermarket application.

    Oh yea. replace all the seals you can. it's just cheap insurance.

    Leave a comment:


  • tweetyoost
    replied
    I'm thinking of rebuilding my LSD myself, I would like to do the following:

    Check all my bearings on play/damage but not replace them if they are ok
    Check all the seals but not replace them if they are ok

    Use porsche 951 332 551 00 friction disks 2x instead of the worn E30 LSD discs same thickness

    Use porsche 917 332 552 12 dog ears 2,1mm 2x instead of the standard 2mm E20 LSD discs

    Is this totally plug and play? do i have to check something special? measurements? shims or spacers?

    Thanks!
    Pieter
    Last edited by tweetyoost; 03-22-2010, 06:10 AM.

    Leave a comment:

Working...