Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trans out of car. Should I replace input/output seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trans out of car. Should I replace input/output seals?

Pulled the tranny out for a clutch job. The shift selector rod was leaking all over the place, so it has been replaced. I have replacement input and output seals on hand, ready to install, but I'm not sure I need them. From what I've read, this may be a sleeping dog that I don't want to mess with.

Because the selector rod was leaking so much, I can't tell if the output shaft is leaking or not (there was oil all over the place).

I've got a leaking oil pan gasket and the car has been in a lot of rain recently, so when I pulled the bell housing cover off, a small puddle of oily/watery/dirty crap came out. Inside of the bell housing was grimy. I think it was only motor oil based on the smell (textbook oil smell), but I can't be sure because of how dirty it was. Because of this situation, I can't clearly identify any leaks in the bell housing either, so I don't know how well the input shaft seal is doing.

From what I've read, it's a PITA to replace these seals and since I've never done this job before, there's a decent chance I'll make things worse if they're not that bad to begin with.

Thoughts?
    sigpic

they aren't bad to change, do it while you have it out. If you are capable of pulling the tranny you are capable of changing the seals. If you are really worried about messing it up at least do the input seal while the tranny is out, the output seal can be done with the tranny installed.

You should check the rear main seal on the engine if you haven't put the clutch in yet.
    sigpic
    '86.5 325eis Track Ho | '08 128i DD | '04 Silverado Tow Vehicle

Comment

Yeah, the input shaft doesn't seem to be as troublesome and it's harder to get to. Rear main is on the list.
      sigpic

Comment

there is a 50% chance you need special tools to install the seals, but worth it.

be carefull on installation, as they can tear, and leak from the get-go.
        i read or heard that 50% of new main seals leak, i replaced mine 4+ years ago,

its also worth to mention,
        replace the selector rod seal too
        theres 3 tranny seals - 2 on the front and 1 rear. and engine seal makes 4.
        while you have your flywheel out, maybe get it machined down a few lb's and improve performance.?
        3 pedal club
        200,k+ club
        cabrio club
        port-matched- polished- purring www.BMWpark.org

</div>

linux since 1999

Comment

Working...
        X