Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whine / drone in the rear - diff or wheel bearing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whine / drone in the rear - diff or wheel bearing?

There's a very definite whine / drone coming from the rear of my car, starts at about 30 mph and gets louder and slightly faster with speed. It's not so much of a really high pitched sound, just kind of a high drone. The whine changes with speed, not revs. It's definitely at the rear, but I can't really tell which side it's coming from. Is there a way to tell if it's the diff, or one of the rear wheel bearings? Ted told me that fluid in the diff is RedLine, and Jordan checked the level for me, and it is full. Anyone have any ideas?

Most likely the wheel bearing. I need to change mine. 80mph+ is just plain annoying in my car.
    Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
    EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
    FullOpp Stickers for sale!
    NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
    Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
    ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

Originally posted by rwdrift
      Most likely the wheel bearing. I need to change mine. 80mph+ is just plain annoying in my car.
      That's what I'm hoping for. I remember reading somewhere that one of them is a BITCH to change, was it the front or the rear?

Comment

rear's are the bitch to change... it could be your diff bearings being shot, or your tires too, dont rule that out.
        Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanGillan
          rear's are the bitch to change... it could be your diff bearings being shot, or your tires too, dont rule that out.
          The tires are PRETTY damn cheap, I plan to get some decent rubber on them asap. As for the diff bearings, can those just be changed? Or is the diff toast?

Comment

well, you can change the bearings, but it's not cost effective for you, at all. hope its the tires, and hope that when you replace them it does away. i have cheap ass snows on my car (only in the rear) and the noise is almost unbearable, once i hit 80 my stereo barely drowns out the droning at full volume. sounds like mud tires. it sucks, i cant wait till summer for my es100s
            Dan

Comment

It is probably 90% wheel bearings. They are a real whore to change.

Comment

Originally posted by trent
                It is probably 90% wheel bearings. They are a real whore to change.
                Would it be worth it to just have it done by a shop? One of my father-in-law's best friends is a BMW mechanic, I used to take my last E30 to him before I started doing my own stuff, and he'd probably cut me a deal on the labor.

*EDIT*

Wow, I just looked them up from BMA, and they are MUCH cheaper than I thought. This won't be that bad afterall.

Comment

yeah i have the same problem too. i bought the bearing and waiting to have it put in.

My half shaft on that side is shot too.

and i would explain teh noise as a droning also
                  www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

I also have that whistle/whine coming from the rear. However, mine only does it about half the time I drive. Sometimes its barely noticeable, sometimes its LOUD. I changed the diff fluid so I doubt its coming from there. If it is from the wheel bearings, would delaying the fix say, 2 months be terribly bad? Or is it just an annoyance issue? I'm pretty busy and tight on cash right now.

Comment

Trent told me that they're just going to keep getting louder, until they eventually do fail. I would just get it done as soon as you can.

Comment

mine started since september and now its march. but its is so loud now, my radio has trouble getting loud enough to drown out the noise, but i only have about a week or so till its replaced, im still waiting on my half shaft so i can change them out at same time.
                        www.ThundaCats.com

Comment

I have the same problem as ya'll, but my car vibrates too.. with this drone, do ya'll have vibration too? a mechanic drove it for the inspection, and he said his best guess was something with the rear... I'd really like to troubleshoot this,, it's damn annoying
                          Project e30 m3 starts now..... :D

Comment

Working...
                          X