High lock diffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah 1600 is not not quite 650 lol
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
      $500? Are you modding ramp angles too?

The dog ear and clutch disc stack is 8.0 mm in thickness, right?

I am guessing you can free up some space by machining the endcap and grinding the shim on the opposite side... at least that's what makes sense to me.
      Not modifying ramp angles at this point... We need a lot more R&D on that. I don't know exactly what it takes, Mike does it.

Comment

I hear you.

There isn't any other way to get slightly more lock, though, right, besides going to a 3 plate/disc combo?

Have you done any mods to the carrier to change the ramp angles?
        you can go 4 plate - it gets to 60% 2 way high locking with stock ramps. Works well for track cars, although its not for NOOBS.

you can change angles to increase or decrease lock up, the factory does this (and many others)

its simple machine work, pick you desired effect (and angles) and have it done.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Originally posted by matt View Post
          I can get OS Giken diffs if anyone is interested. We also build high lock-up stock BMW diffs with 2-4 clutches. Not for $850 though. It's $500 just in machine work to do a 4-clutch setup.
          4 clutches can be done without ANY machine work. The DIY was written on e30 tech, I also posted a technical faq of doing one

if you guys are doing machine work WITH a 4 clutch setup, the costs def. can add up, many of the diff building guys are machining custom ramp angles for different characteristics.

4 clutch with stock center unit is NOT for noobs. You will shift lock like driving a KAAZ 2 way (I used to have a TOMEI *built by kaaz for tomei* in my drift car Ae86)

heres a guy doing stock 2 clutch replacement for reference:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

another picture tear down:

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

heres the original thread where I got the idea from; give credit where it is due!

this guy does a 4 clutch conversion with stock parts from a few diff;s

another diff builders opinion on internal configuration:

street cars use a 40% lock is enough; three clutches.

For racing I use four clutches and change the pressure rings from 45º to 30º - this way you get 75% lock up rate.

To add four cluches you need to take off 4mm of material from the cover (use old type diff covers, they are thicker and have thinner bellevue washers)

-If you don't change the pressure ring to a 30º´s you get 60%. To get 90% you need 5 cluthces, but its too much"

from my experience, there are a few different styles of LSD internal, and it gets confusing. some need machining for 4 clutch, many don't. You can configure and adjust to the unit in your car.

my personal take on DIY of LSD rebuild/reconfig:

A. for LSD stock rebuild; easier than doing a head gasket. just remember how things came out, replace with stock items. You don't need a spare diff for this if you have a good workspace, if you have a lift removal of the diff from car is not even required!

A.5: for LSD install into place of open, paste, shims may be required. patience needed.

B. for LSD reconfig/re-gearing of diff:
          ** if you are hardcore DIY guy with alot of patience and the space to gather a few extra LSD's for parts, then go for it**

if you are building time attack car with lots of power then order a KAAZ :)

if your car is dedicated street and you just want LSD for rain, then get a stock unit or a Torsen :)
          Last edited by Wanganstyle; 04-23-2011, 09:54 PM.

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

This sounds and looks fairly simple, but when you are upgrading from 2 clutches to 4, do you just stack them up or what exactly do you have to do in terms of installation order?

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Local guy gave me this to tear down

188mm 4.27+1,000rwhp and MT's

Comment

LOL nice

Comment

Did a high 9 pass then died on 1-2 shift second pass. Hahahaha

If u look the clutch plates alternate w disc. If you reference the diagram of an OS GIKEN unit or cusco, you will see what I mean :)

Comment

Ok, I think I want to give this a shot. Where can I get these clutch kits from, if these are oem parts can I just get them through a local dealer?

PN # ?

Comment

Originally posted by jean View Post
                      ok, i think i want to give this a shot. Where can i get these clutch kits from, if these are oem parts can i just get them through a local dealer?

Pn # ?

Comment

Since I love jumping on the torsen bandwagon I figured I'd chime in late here.

I swapped out an OE LSD for a Z3 torsen, and I find that the torsen does a better job. Granted the former had 170k on it, but I'd rather change oil than rebuilding a diff.

I do use the parking brake trick in the winter at times. Try that with an LSD. It does nothing.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                        Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanganstyle View Post
                          This is the part number for the clutch friction disc.

If you wanted to add one or more discs, I believe you'd need to source thinner dog ear plates (the plates that the discs mate against).

I'm still not sure how you can get 75% lock / 4 plates with stock parts. Can you describe how that's done?

I just serviced the pinion bearing on my diff and inspected the clutch discs and steels which looked ok--if the diff is quiet I'll probably fool around with building a 3 disc setup.

Originally posted by u3b3rg33k
                          Granted the former had 170k on it, but I'd rather change oil than rebuilding a diff.
                          Honestly restacking the clutch discs inside the LSD is not that difficult. It might take a few hours the first time but the second time it'd probably take half that. Changing the pinion gear bearings is slightly more difficult.

Originally posted by whysimon
                          WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

The real reason i pulled mine was that it was getting noisy. I'm pretty sure it needs a full rebuild.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
                            Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Thank you.

I would like a confirmation on the necessary parts to replace the original 2 clutch disks with 4 to get this done .

I promise to take lots of pictures for others as well :)

If you wanted to add one or more discs, I believe you'd need to source thinner dog ear plates (the plates that the discs mate against).

I'm still not sure how you can get 75% lock / 4 plates with stock parts. Can you describe how that's done?

I just serviced the pinion bearing on my diff and inspected the clutch discs and steels which looked ok--if the diff is quiet I'll probably fool around with building a 3 disc setup.

Honestly restacking the clutch discs inside the LSD is not that difficult. It might take a few hours the first time but the second time it'd probably take half that. Changing the pinion gear bearings is slightly more difficult.

Comment

You are totally correct. if the nut behind the wheel can trust self to build engine, then can build a diff. If the nut behind wheel can't do a head gasket confidently, then diff work should be left to a professional.

there are only a few OEM dog ear plate thicknesses, if you tear down the diff and measure everything, you will be able to figure it out. factory PN's for the dog ears have them in a range between 1.8-2.1mm

Different year diff builds have slightly different thickness spacers inside - having a few is nice. Early cases are small clearance hole in side, later are big cavity. very early is also slightly different spacer stack internally.

OEM 4 clutch + stock ramp angles is 60% lockup. Modified ramp angle can get you to 75%

you can also preload or increase pressure with spacers/springs/bellvue, but IMO its kind of weaksauce overclocking.

Comment

Working...
                                X