Nasty clunk in rear...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nasty clunk in rear...

So I am getting a clunking noise (ya I know it's been asked before) out of what seems to be the diff. I have replace all of the bushings in the rear of the car and also the driveshaft was just rebuilt. So I am assuming that it must be the diff. It happens when i engage the clutch when I shift and on acceleration and deceleration. Assuming it is the diff, will changing the bearings, seals and clutches fix this problem??? Thanks
    88 325is s50 powered
    -Brian

Csb?

Comment

Csb is brand new
      88 325is s50 powered
      -Brian

Comment

I'd still check to make sure the drive shaft and CSB were installed & aligned correctly and bushings/mounting bolts are torqued sufficiently. I'd also check the axle shafts for play and/or binding and rips in the boots. In the end it may indeed be the diff, but I'd check those items first.

If it is the diff I can't see seals contributing to a thudding sound, but if the bearings or clutch were worn enough I suppose... Although I'd imagine you'd also be getting a serious growling out of any bearing that far gone and significant slipping from the clutch. I didn't have thudding with the one bad diff I came across, so hopefully someone more knowledgeable comes along to confirm the common symptoms.

Comment

I do have slipping, it's basically not a LSD any more. Also I get grinding on slow tight turns. I'm just wondering if replacing the clutches and bearings will solve the clunking or not
          88 325is s50 powered
          -Brian

Comment

check your rear rotors, make sure they are secured. Mine was loose and made a clunking noise which vibrated through my drivetrain.

Comment

Working...
            X