Clutch issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch issue

Driving to work this AM the clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't come back up... reached down and pulled it up, then attempted to shift, had that happen a few more times but made it to work...(and this is my '87 325i..not my '93)

At lunch went to take the car home and same thing, clutch pedal goes to the floor and wont come up..AND even with the pedal on the floor, it wont shift into gear..

So...blown slave cylinder..master cylinder??

Thoughts....

..ohh and i had to leave it in the parking lot.

Yup one of the two. I believe if the pedal stops coming up it is usually the master cylinder.

'89 Alpine S52 with goodies

Comment

YOU SIR, have a bad clutch master. You should replace it.

Comment

should do the slave while you are in there, super simple and will save some time in the future....

Comment

you should check everything
          this exact thing happend to me and now im replacing my entire clutch(as needed)

when you take the slave cylinder out check to see if your pressure plate fork is working.

in my case it didnt work because it was stuck all the way down and my throwout bearing is done
          ]

Comment

Thanks everyone... its sitting in a parking lot right now. Ive got a co-worker with a truck/car trailer who is going to help me get'r home so i can tear into it..

Any thoughts on where to source Master/Slave cylinders? Is it something that i can get from Autozone-- im guessing i should avoid used..

Comment

yeah its no so expensive that you go and get used. the slave is around 25 at autozone, i think the master is expensive. something like 100
              ]

Comment

At Autozone the slave is roughly $30 and the master is $50. Autozone sucks, but if you're in a rush like I was, then it'll suffice.

Since you should replace both at the same time, might as well do both. And definitely check your fork like the other guy said. Had I known what I know now, I could have taken 1 look at my fork and known what I had to do instead of scratching my head wasting time. You should see the fork pretty much flush against the hole the slave rod sits in.

Comment

Originally posted by 99em1 View Post
                  At Autozone the slave is roughly $30 and the master is $50. Autozone sucks, but if you're in a rush like I was, then it'll suffice.

Since you should replace both at the same time, might as well do both. And definitely check your fork like the other guy said. Had I known what I know now, I could have taken 1 look at my fork and known what I had to do instead of scratching my head wasting time. You should see the fork pretty much flush against the hole the slave rod sits in.
                  exactly how he put it. this was my problem. i couldnt see the fork because it deep in there. always important to check
                  ]

Comment

Bought my master for like $32 shipped brand new URO

Check your clutch return spring, see if it fell out of its bracket.
                    1985 325e M50TU(Sold)
                    1991 318is Slicktop (Sold)
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot S50/5 Lug Swapped.
                    1992 525i Manual shitbox Winter Beater

Comment

Working...
                    X