Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shift Carrier - where is p/n stamped?

Good people,

In my ongoing quest to get the shifter problems cleaned up I need to verify that I have the right aluminum shift carrier in the car. According to RealOEM, the p/n after 6/86 is it for a 325 (ends in 1053).

Does anyone know if the 318is carrier is physically able to mount to a 325 trans, and if so, would the mount to socket dimensions be shorter?

The History: Long, but had the trans swapped at a shop, early style to late, all parts initially sourced from there, hence my questions and the need to verify p/n's.

After the installation of a DSSR from UUC, my shifter is tight, but the pattern is too far forward and hits the console in 1,3,5.

Looking at the carrier from the the top of the car, the ball socket of it is not centered to the hole in the trans tunnel (don't know if it "normally" is) but if the dimesion from the front of the carrier attachment to the ball socket center were a bit further back, it would pull my shifter pattern to center, using UUC's prescribed 187mm selector rod.

Alternatively, a 181mm SR would do the same thing, but of course, the 187 is the smallest they make.

So, the last thing left is the shift carrier - unless the trans is from something else, but as far as I know all of the G260s are the same with the exception of the output flange.

Long diatribe for a short response, but the typing helps me vent....

Might you have turned the shift lever 180 when you installed the DSSR?
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

I wish.

From the top of the car, with the shift boot off, you can see (with the shift lever in the correct orientation) that it cants forward.

After much wailing and gnashing of teeth and verifying all other p/n's and measurements (yes, measuerd the center to center length of the DSSR), it's either the shift carrier or I got a trans with the attachment point mounted too far forward (seems rather unlikely...).

Anybody willing to pull their shift boot(s) off and see where their carrier ball socket sits in relation to the trans tunnel opening? If everyone else's socket sits about 3/8 to 1/2 forward of center then I guess it's time to shorten the DSSR.

Assuming 2 or 3 of y'all would do that, I'd have a better idea about what I need to change.

Comment

Sounds like ur selector rod is backwards!

Comment

How does the length of the DSSR compare to the shift rod you removed?

Later tonight I could get a measurement of the distance from the forward shift console bushing to the center of the shifter bushing and the length of an OE shift rod. You'd have to remove the shifter assembly, but those numbers would tell if you have the right parts.
          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

EN318isPDX "Sounds like ur selector rod is backwards!"
            - For the DSSR, no matter how you install it, it's the same thing...

jlevie - "How does the length of the DSSR compare to the shift rod you removed?"
            - The DSSR is a verified 187mm, my previous "stock" selector rod was about 181mm.

"Later tonight I could get a measurement of the distance from the forward shift console bushing to the center of the shifter bushing
            - if this means from carrier attachment point on the trans to where the shift lever sits, it might be easier to just pull your shift boots and tell me what it looks like in relation to the tunnel opening - I figure since there's only one p/n for the carrier and y'all are driving 325's, it is what it is. However, if you're game for measuring, it's very much appreciated.

"and the length of an OE shift rod"
            - Not needed (but appreciate the thoughtj); the (specified by UUC) selector rod joint and DSSR are supposed to provide the correct length.

"...those numbers would tell if you have the right parts."
            - This will be on tap in the next day or so, in my never ending quest to get this thing right.

Thanks for the inputs, I really appreciate the help.

Comment

Working...
            X