My CSB hates me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My CSB hates me

So for the past 2 months I've had vibrations in 1st/2nd gear which have been diagnosed as a busted CSB. Well tonite my CSB may have reached a level of badness unattained by most. Instead of vibrations, 1st/2nd gears are now accompanied with a fierce squeel coming from under my ebrake handle (I need someone to host a sound clip that I'll take tomorrow). This squeek seems a bit too far forward to be the CSB (compared to where the vibrations were coming), so I'm wondering if anyone has ever had this problem, I just need confirmation that this is only my CSB making sounds, not any other problem.

I also need a CSB, if anyone has a new one for cheap that is local, that would rule.

Oh, and since I don't want to start another thread, tomorrow I should be paying for an aluminum 2.8L short block M52 for $800 shipped, happy!

What will happen to the M50 then?
    BMA has the cheapest CSB I've been able to find.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
      What will happen to the M50 then?
      BMA has the cheapest CSB I've been able to find.
      I'll use some parts off of it, but it will be up for sale once I'm done with the swap.

Comment

Jeremy, if you are back in SD go to InterAuto. They'll likely have the least expensive price locally.

I just swapped mine out last night due to similar symptoms to what you are reporting.

Comment

dude, i've been having the same problem recently. at first it was 'minor' and now recently the car vibrates reallly hard, i just hope i can get to school tomorrow its 25 miles away, I thought it was due to the guibo though, looking all my guibo its all shredded and torn up, I'm changing them both anyways this week

Comment

Originally posted by zandi
            dude, i've been having the same problem recently. at first it was 'minor' and now recently the car vibrates reallly hard, i just hope i can get to school tomorrow its 25 miles away, I thought it was due to the guibo though, looking all my guibo its all shredded and torn up, I'm changing them both anyways this week
            Oh, you'll get to school alrite. I've driven at least 2000 miles with this problem. I should be doing my repairs tomorrow as well, and with my luck, the guibo and U-joints will be blown to shit as well.

Props to Jason for guiding me to a place that sells CSBs for $35, not the $50 I've seen on almost every website.

Comment

So am I probably going to have to replace the U-joints too? aww man, this is my first time getting to the driveshaft, im gonna spend a week underneath there with MY LUCK.

permit do you slow down your rpms a bit when it starts shaking and upshift? Thats what i've been doing and it alleviates the problem temporarly until i hit the high rpms again(and by high im talking about like 3-4!)

Comment

I get to high rpm's as quickly as possible, thats where the vibrations stop (Past 3500 I'm fine, until I get to 2nd gear, then its back). Mine is no longer just vibrations, there is an amazingly annoying squeek coming from it now--if yours just started up, then it should just be the CSB. However, I have driven a lot on it, so most of it will probably have to be replaced.

Comment

My vibrations seem to be more than just simple vibrations, I can feel the whole car under me shaking as I'm driving

Comment

Permit, I'm having the exact same symptoms you are. I'll get a deep vibration taking off from a stop in first, which goes away once I hit about 3k, then returns in the form of a deep, low rumble that vibrates the whole car from the start of 2nd up to about 3k once again. I know this is due to the CSB, since through a mixup, I have the wrong CSB in my car. It's the part for a 87-91 E30, and the mounting area is smaller than the one for the 84-87. Since I was 3 hours from home, we had no choice but to put it in so I could get home. It lasted about 3 weeks before I started getting the vibrations, and I'm almost positive they are due to the CSB not being centered in the driveshaft tunnel, so it's probably already wasted. I've got the correct part on the way, hopefully I'll get to install it this weekend, because the vibrations are getting worse. It's a cheap part, only about $30-40, it's just kind of a pain in the ass job to do.

Comment

Originally posted by zandi
                      My vibrations seem to be more than just simple vibrations, I can feel the whole car under me shaking as I'm driving
                      Oh, believe me, its earthquake-type vibrations. So annoying when I'm doing donuts... :twisted:

Comment

The vibration I get in 2nd vibrates the car pretty well, it makes the rear-view mirror vibrate. :D

Comment

yeah mine has gotten 10x worse, 2nd gear is the worst and i have to bend my ssk because the shift rod is hitting the driveshaft now, such a juicy sound.

haha, permit did you go ahead and do the repairs? what was actually fucked up in the driveshaft? do you think my ujoints will be shot too?

Comment

I got my new CSB today, and I have to say, it looks overall like a much better unit than the one I got previously. It looks stronger and like it's made better, and doesn't have as much flex in the rubber, like the one I got and installed recently.

Comment

Yes, I replaced it yesterday. Funny thing is, the CSB didn't look at all worn out...which worried me for a while. The U-joints and guibo all looked in good condition still, so we were riding pretty hard on the CSB being the problem. Replaced it, and the squeek and vibrations are gone. Actually, there are tiny vibrations sometimes in 1st gear, and that would be because we didn't get the CSB aligned perfectly on the drive shaft--perhaps we'll fix that later on.

So yeah, if you have vibrations in low gears at low rpm's, its your CSB. About a 1.5-2 hour job with two guys (one thats done it before, one that hasn't)

Comment

Working...
                              X