Shifter bushings install problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter bushings install problem

I recently bought the pelican parts bushings kit which includes all the necessary parts to rebuild your shifter. When I went for a drive after installing the parts, there's a problem. It seems to shift great when stationary, but any speed above 5 mph there's a lot of noise and vibration coming from the shift assembly.

--After looking at a few pics, I think I put the shift rod joint in backwards. Leading to the selector rod being put in on the wrong side also. Would this cause an issue like this?
    Last edited by CosmosM3; 01-06-2011, 10:08 AM.

Absolutely. Shift linkage is probably rubbing on the the guibo or driveshaft... gotta make sure you put the selector rod back on the correct side/direction.

Comment

Originally posted by E30m42cab View Post
      Absolutely. Shift linkage is probably rubbing on the the guibo or driveshaft... gotta make sure you put the selector rod back on the correct side/direction.
      Time to take everything back apart..Thanks for your help!

Comment

You should be able to get the clips off and the rod repositioned without taking anything apart. I was able to with my fat clumsy fingers.

Comment

Do you have a short shifter? If so its rubbing on your harmonic balancer or vibration damper, I forget the name, you'll have to remove it.

Comment

Originally posted by redhatpat View Post
            You should be able to get the clips off and the rod repositioned without taking anything apart. I was able to with my fat clumsy fingers.
            I'll give it a try, hopefully I could get to it.

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            Do you have a short shifter? If so its rubbing on your harmonic balancer or vibration damper, I forget the name, you'll have to remove it.
            I also bought a new z3 1.9l shifter, so it's somewhere around 25% reduction. I'm going to fix the rod joint/selector rod first, if it's still causing problems out comes the harmonic balancer.
            Last edited by CosmosM3; 01-08-2011, 12:53 PM.

Comment

All I have to do is move the selector rod to the other side and not the shift joint that's on the back of the transmission? I think I installed both the wrong way.

Comment

I switched both parts so they are in correctly and started up my e30 on the lift to make sure there were no other problems. I installed a brand new z3 1.9L shift lever causing the selector rod to hit the harmonic balancer. So I marked were it's hitting the selector rod and grinded it down so it doesn't hit any more. It shifts through all gears perfect, but I can't find reverse. The shift knob is all the way left when in 1st, so there's no room to go left for reverse....Did I take to much material off the shift selector so reverse can't be reached?

Thanks a lot everyone, hopefully I could figure out this problem.

Comment

Do you mean the shifter is hitting console? Or the shifter just won't go left into reverse?

Comment

Make sure the rubber support bracket is on the two tabs, don't refuse the old nut. Mine backed itself off after a couple months

Comment

Do you mean the shifter is hitting console? Or the shifter just won't go left into reverse?
                      Yes, the shifter is hitting the console when I try and go into reverse. It seems like the shifter isn't centered correctly when in neutral, to far left...

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                      Make sure the rubber support bracket is on the two tabs, don't refuse the old nut. Mine backed itself off after a couple months
                      The rubber support bracket is on the 2 tabs and it came with a new nut.

Note..The driveshaft is removed right now so the linkage isn't hitting anything. This is very odd.

Comment

Take a picture

Comment

Originally posted by EN318isPDX View Post
                          Take a picture
                          Will do, I'll post pics Monday evening.

Comment

Problem fixed, the selector rod is slightly bent which gives you leverage to get into reverse. When I was grinding it down, it took this slight bent away and couldn't hit reverse. Bent it back and it's good as new! Thanks everyone for your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X