Clutch STILL hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch STILL hard

So when i purchased the car the clutch was hard, and ended up with a blown throughout bearing about 3 months ago....

So we replaced the clutch with a luk's clutch kit/resurfaced flywheel and new slave cylinder.

But my clutch pedal is still very hard.

when we tried to bleed it again just now as soon as the bleeder valve was open the clutch went to the floor and stayed there. So we kept pumping it and it would stay...eventually the pedal is good enough to shift but the clutch is almost directly off of the floor and the pedal is STILL HARD...

perhaps the master cylinder is bad?
    ]

when you say it is directly off the floor you mean it isnt at full height? i think you didnt get it bled well enough if it is sitting that low.

hard compared to what? Ive found that the clutch pedal in this car is firmer than most cars.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
      when you say it is directly off the floor you mean it isnt at full height? i think you didnt get it bled well enough if it is sitting that low.

hard compared to what? Ive found that the clutch pedal in this car is firmer than most cars.
      i ment to say that the clutch engages almost directly after i release it, also when im not touching my pedal it dosent line up with the brake pedal almost like it never came all the way back up.

ive compared my clutch to many other e30's and everyone agrees that i have a buff left leg
      ]

Comment

take a look at the clutch pedal to see if its bent, mine is bent and it sits about an inch lower than the brake pedal (i kinda like it, i dont need a clutch stop)

edit: when you did the TOB did you replace everything? how old are the hydraulics?
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
          take a look at the clutch pedal to see if its bent, mine is bent and it sits about an inch lower than the brake pedal (i kinda like it, i dont need a clutch stop)

edit: when you did the TOB did you replace everything? how old are the hydraulics?
          well when the clutch broke down the pedal was twisted to the left so i had to bend it back...

and yes when i did the tob everything was replaced..resurfaced flywheel/pressure plate/clutch disk/pilot bearing and slave cylinder.

I have hear the slave cylinder pushing on the fork so i know its working. Its just that i never expected the clutch to be so stiff.

btw i have an extra master cylinder, but dont want to replace it if it is not the problem
          ]

Comment

A bad clutch master cylinder won't increase the pedal force required, but it can result in the clutch releasing lower than normal. Higher than normal pedal force will be a problem with the clutch pedal or the clutch itself.
            The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
            Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
              A bad clutch master cylinder won't increase the pedal force required, but it can result in the clutch releasing lower than normal. Higher than normal pedal force will be a problem with the clutch pedal or the clutch itself.
              okay so in my case it probably sits off because its been bent.

But i still want to find out why the clutch is hard.
              ]

Comment

Hard as compared to what? Another E30 or other cars?

Comment

Did you lube the crap out of the throw out bearing where it slides?
                  My Eta had a very hard clutch and I figured it was related to this.

Comment

Hard as compared to what? Another E30 or other cars?
                    to other e30's
                    Originally posted by E30Gus View Post
                    Did you lube the crap out of the throw out bearing where it slides?
                    My Eta had a very hard clutch and I figured it was related to this.
                    im not sure, it was installed by someone else
                    ]

Comment

What clutch did those E30's have?

Comment

What clutch did those E30's have?
                        hhmm i really cant say but for the most part i would think sachs.
                        its just that the difference is to much, feels as hard as the performance clutch that was in the car when i bought it
                        ]

Comment

There can be quite a bit of variation in the feel of different brands of clutches. I don't think I've ever used that clutch so I can't say whether the stiffness is normal.

Comment

what did they machine the flywheel to?

if they resurfaced it then they also were sure to preserve the "lip" where the clutch disk sits on the flywheel. if they increased the height of that lip (.011'" vs .017") then it will increase clamping force.. that could be it.
                            My feedback:
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=186328

http://e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74911

Instagram:
                            @gears_n_glory

@functionmotorsports

Comment

Originally posted by bataangpinoy View Post
                              what did they machine the flywheel to?

if they resurfaced it then they also were sure to preserve the "lip" where the clutch disk sits on the flywheel. if they increased the height of that lip (.011'" vs .017") then it will increase clamping force.. that could be it.
                              damn, i would never know. i wasnt down there with the guy because i know some people get annoyed when you watch them work. Perhaps it was this..

but yes the flywheel was machined and resurfaced

edit: just to add.

me and a member on here wanted to bleed the system the other night, but everytime we did it got worse and the pedal stayed to the floor and we would have to start as if we drained the system completely of any fluids
                              ]

Comment

Working...
                              X