Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 speed swap

Ooookk so the earth.... round......
    Any ways i bought a POS 300$ 86 ES and found out the trany is bad (auto)
    I wreched my M50 swaped car back in oct.
    So i put the car up on my lift at work and nock out the bad trany and put the manual in and get every thing nice and neat.
    Found out how to disable the P&N saftey switch.... and i go to start it and it just cranks and cranks.
    Ok shit no crank sensor. Tootaly forgot that the sensors were on the fly wheel on the older cars and not on the front of the crank.
    Can any one help me with this... point me to some threads that have a way to fix this.
    The manual trany is out of an 88 and does not have the holes in the bellhousing for the oldschool sensors but yet the crank pulley is smooth with no teeth.

Assuming your auto had both good reference sensors you just need a tranny with holes in it and a flywheel with the reference pin. IE both tranny and flywheel need to be from an eta.

The other possibility is to do an I electronics swap. But I'm not exactly sure how that works in an eta.

Comment

As far as i know i just need to source a I harness and a Crank pulley. With the right reff sensor that gose with the I harrness and computer.

Comment

You might also need a lower timing belt cover to mount the reference sensor. But then again, that deletes the cold start injector and such. It seems like a messy process. Can the "i" electronics even deal with an eta motor? I don't remember.

Comment

you have cold start injector
          i dont think mine is bosche CIS
          but i think it can i might go with my 88 super eta computer that way the revs arnt as hi but idk i will make it work or ill beat it into submision
          i just dont wana pull the trany back out Again....

Comment

oh yea i electronics has the uber high redline that the eta will assplode with. Dude just get the eta tranny/flywheel. It'll cost less in the long run and you won't blow your motor.

Comment

oh shizznit i dont wannna esssplode
              but i really dont wana swap trannys again i have done it toooo much just anyooin.

Comment

live and learn man. I did a clutch job once and forgot the TO bearing. Last year I forgot to torque the pressure plate bolts. Good thing I remembered before it was 100% back together.

Sucks you aren't closer, I have an eta tranny in my basement iirc

Comment

i forgot the leaver arm and TO bearing one time and had the tranny comp installed on my M50 after i had to switch tanys cuz 5th gear locked in and couldnt take it out.
                  but yah i was disapointed i did the complete swap yesterday trany pedals new steering colum and every thing got to those sensors and was like what why are the holes covered
                  Oh shit.

Comment

Working...
                  X