Rear end clunk-Play in diff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear end clunk-Play in diff?

So when I take off hard/drop clutch/shift hard there's a terrible, dull thud from the rear end. It also wheel hops until it stops clunking. I changed the diff bushing thinking it could be that, but it's no better/maybe worse now.

I finally got under the car again today and poked around a bit. I know the rear ta bushings and subframe bushings are dry rotted, but I don't see that causing this noise.

I turned the rear wheel by hand and there was what I would say is play in the diff. There was a lag between the halfshaft turning and the driveshaft turning and a clink when the driveshaft did start to turn. The only thing besides the diff I thought it could be was the CSB but I don't see that causing what I just described. Guibo looks fine.

Car is 1993 M40 5mt touring fwiw.

Should I be looking for a lsd to replace the diff?
    For all things 24v, check out Markert Motorworks!
    Originally posted by mbonanni
    I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

check your u-joint..
    sigpic

Comment

Well from what I saw the input from driveshaft to flange on the diff wasn't tight to the rotation of the diff's output shaft, that makes me think there's slop/play inside the diff.
      I hate modded emtree, I hate modded cawrz, I hate jdm, I hate swag, I hate stanceyolokids, I hate bags (on cars), I hate stuff that is slowz, I hate tires.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Wheel hop sounds like bad bushings and/or shocks. The "clunking" under hard acceleration sounds like binding drive shaft u-joints and a failing center support bearing.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

90% of the time it's a dead U joint or your subframe bushings are dead. I'm betting subframe bushings. esp if the clunk is mainly on one side.

Comment

Just got under the car again for a better look. Subframe bushes are definitely shot, and when I turn the driveshaft just after the transmission, there is a metalic click/clunk from the CSB area.

I'm going to replace the subframe/Trailing arm bushes when I have the time and space (car is my DD) and look into doing the CSB as well.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

From past experiences sounds like you have yourself a u joint problem.
              sigpic

Comment

probably sounds like wheelhop but is tailshaft related. been happening to me since i decided to rest my whole rear end on the rear ujoint. trying new guibo+CSB will post results. got new oe sub/trailing bushes and a solid mz3 diff bush. new e36 strut tops too
                RIP 84 323i coupe 5spd w/ 14psi
                89' 318i

Comment

Sounds like same issue I have. From a dead stop ill go from 1st then into 2nd and i get a CLUNK. Same if taking off fast.

Comment

Hows your flex disc look? I bet it's gone.
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by KenC View Post
                      Hows your flex disc look? I bet it's gone.
                      Flex disc? Is that another name for the guibo? If so, it looks fine. I'm getting the car on a lift by this weekend at the latest and having it looked over by my father (mechanic). I now know for sure I'll need subframe bushes and swaybar links as soon as I can, but I don't think this is causing the symptoms that are bothering me right now.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Let's say you're about to take off in 1st... you feel what's almost like a slight delay, then a clunk, then you start accelerating, then thats a bad U-joint?

Comment

It can be.
                          The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                          Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Interesting. What should I look for in terms of U Joint play the next time I get under the car?

Also, what else could it be except the CSB?

Comment

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                              90% of the time it's a dead U joint or your subframe bushings are dead. I'm betting subframe bushings. esp if the clunk is mainly on one side.
                              Winnar. Both subframe bushings were beyond dead; as in almost totally missing. They were likely very dried out/cracked when I bought the car and my hoonery completely did them in. The entire subframe could be moved up/down with a prybar they are so bad.

I am a pursit now.

Comment

Working...
                              X