Small case to Large case Diff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small case to Large case Diff

How much trouble is it to do this swap, or can it even be done?

I am looking at an M10 318 to buy, but it has a small case open diff, and I want to upgrade.
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

No one here knows????
    Current Cars
    2014 M235i
    2009 R56 Cooper S
    1998 M3
    1997 M3

Comment

you just need to swap axles and output flanges.
      Dan

Comment

Cool - that is not too bad, then, Thanks.
        Current Cars
        2014 M235i
        2009 R56 Cooper S
        1998 M3
        1997 M3

Comment

What about on a late model 318i? Is the diff swap straight up or do you have to replace output flanges and axles on it as well?
          Current Cars
          2014 M235i
          2009 R56 Cooper S
          1998 M3
          1997 M3

Comment

should be a straight swap
            Dan

Comment

you dont have to change anything but the diff. the axles will work on both diifs,going from large to small, not 100% on the other way around.

Comment

I have a 91 318is small case 4.10 LSD. I'm going to be replacing it with a large case 3.73 lsd when I do an engine swap. What else is needed? Can the same axles/flanges be used or will I need to change them as well?

Comment

Originally posted by JRowe
                  I have a 91 318is small case 4.10 LSD. I'm going to be replacing it with a large case 3.73 lsd when I do an engine swap. What else is needed? Can the same axles/flanges be used or will I need to change them as well?
                  This question was asked a few posts up. You need to change nothing except for the diff. Axles/flanges will not need to be changed.

Comment

A problem I am encountering is going from a small case diff to a large case. I pulled the diff out of my m42 (3:91lsd) and noticed the rear cover needs to be swapped due to the mounting bracket on the rear of the diff.

I am swapping in a 3:25 lsd from an E28.

I am assuming I will need a rear cover from a large diff E30?!
                    Does this sound right?

As far as the axle flanges the bolt pattern is the same, but are they different lengths? Do they need to be swapped from large diff to large diff?

Any Ideas, thanks!!

Comment

if the big diff is from another E30 then need not change anything.
                      but from an E28, that'll be a different story. the E28 output flanges are different from the E30. the rear cover is different as well..

all u need to do is the replace the E28 rear cover with one from a E30 big case diff and oso the output flanges..

Cheers...

Left E34 output flange, right E30

is ur diff like this?

Originally posted by KangamangusDriver
                      A problem I am encountering is going from a small case diff to a large case. I pulled the diff out of my m42 (3:91lsd) and noticed the rear cover needs to be swapped due to the mounting
                      bracket on the rear of the diff.

I am swapping in a 3:25 lsd from an E28.

I am assuming I will need a rear cover from a large diff E30?!
                      Does this sound right?

As far as the axle flanges the bolt pattern is the same, but are they different lengths? Do they need to be swapped from large diff to large diff?

Any Ideas, thanks!!
                      BMWClub Malaysia
                      www.bmwclubmalaysia.com

Comment

Working...
                      X