Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know what an "E" stamp on a diff means?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know what an "E" stamp on a diff means?

I pulled a differential from a 1988 528e and instead of the usual 'S' stamp, it has an 'E'?

From my understanding if it has a 'V' stamp it means its a viscous diff, but I can't find any information on the E...
    Need a limited slip differential? Check my FS threads

Feedback thread

is it a medium diff?

and does it act like an open or what?
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

It is a medium case and acts like a limited slip differential. There wasn't a tag on it, but I believe it is a 3.25

Feedback thread

Comment

I seem to recall there being a different stamp if the Diff is a reman. Whether it's the E or not, couldn't tell ya. Memory is hazy 'cuz I read the article about a year and a half ago.

Comment

Seems like a good guess, I remember reading something about that on the 5ers a while ago too. I could have SWORN I saw a thread about it on r3v though, I just cant find it anywhere... I just want to make sure that's 100% correct!

Feedback thread

Comment

E was some stamping for reman, re-built - not a brand new unit. Since you got it from a junkyard in 2011 from a e28 (1985-1988 era), its not a new unit by any means.

how can a stamping make a diff correct? what the hell does Correct mean anyways?

Pull the rear cover and look at whats inside. Said item from E28 must be at least ....22 years old?

you can find out what ratio via simple math: count the # of teeth on ring, and on pinion. get a calculator and divide the bigger number by the smaller. There you have a "Ratio"

e28 diff is useless for install into e30 without the rear e30 diff cover /mount plate and e30 size stub axels.
            OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Ha i meant correct as the information, not the diff itself! Like I said in my first post, if it has a 'v' stamp is means that it's a vicious plate, which means it has something to do with the differential not using a clutch disks? Either way, I just wanted to make sure that an 'e' was not something completely different.

I was actually told a while back to count the number of times the driveshift would spin in one rotation of the side flanges; I counted 3.25 times. Never heard of your method, but I like the alternative option!

But yeah I gotchya. Obviously you would need to change the cover and the flanges, but it's the same medium size case, so it's definitely not useless swap, esp with a nice ratio like 3.25 that wasn't an original E30 ratio.

Feedback thread

Comment

some E28 diffs are NOT compatible with E30 covers, Best to check this by fitting e30 rear cover plate on it.

The method of DOING MATH is the only 100% way to verify the gearing RATIO, as a RATIO is by definition one number's relation to another. I.e. a 2:1 ratio of female to male @ partying is good, 3:1 is ever better.

Sleep much in MATH CLASS ??

:P

V, E, D, regardless - please open it up and check. its a mystery junkyard item and LSD units do have failures reasonably often. the little 6mm bolt heads like to back out and break, then destroy the ring and pinion and do other great things.

if this was from a e28 then doubtful it would have a VISCOUS as those only shipped OEM in ALL WHEEL DRIVE IX versions, however if you actually opened the cover and looked at it (or took a photo and posted if you don't know what one is supposed to look like), sombody would be able to ID it.
                OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

That's great post
                  -------------------

Watch Abduction Online for Free

Comment

I seem to recall there being a different stamp if the Diff is a reman.
                    --------------------
                    Watch Abduction Online for Free

Comment

Reviving this thread. Looking for a 3.25 lsd for my e30 and I found one but it has an E stamp next to the S. Do we have a solid answer on what exactly the E means?

And if it does in fact mean remanufactured, was it from BMW and is it at all possible to know when it was remanufactured?

Comment

Pop the cover and look, you could benefit this thread.

Comment

Working...
                        X