Tranny fluid change: MT-90 vs Atf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny fluid change: MT-90 vs Atf

I'm about to do an oil change on my g240 and I wanted to know if redline mt90 is that much better then the factory specified dextron ATF fluid.

SCHOOL MEH!!

Can't really provide you with justification but i just went with what the g240 sticker said and used Redline ATF.

IIRC the g240's varied as to which fluid they took. You just gotta see what sticker it came with. Better off sticking with what it came with the factory and using a high quality fluid.
    2008 335i - n54b30
    1991 318i - m52b28
    1994 fzj80 - LAND CRUSHER

Comment

I just had a new err um newish tranns put in my car. THe old tranny I ran off synthetic ATF. The shop put in gear oil in the new one. I hates being cold and you have to force it into gear. THe BMW manual said you can run either.
      sigpic"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." -Ferdinand Porsche
      The ugly car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=209713

Comment

yes, the ATF trans like ATF. if you run MTL its a GRUMPY item untill fluid hot.

getrag 6mt+ manual trans fluid = angry 6 speed.
        OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

I highly recommend you split the difference. Use 50/50 or 1qt redline atf and the rest MTL or MT-90 to your liking.

In 240sx transmissions i really liked running a 50/50 of mtl and mt90.
          I don't always wreck cars, but when I do I wreck them into trees.

91' 318is S50 swap - The Black Widow

Comment

i put MTL in my 240, no problems as of yet
            1991 318is ---230K - DD
            1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
            so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

how can I identify which fluid to use in my '85 5spd?

The Haynes book mentions a RED, GREEN or NO label style manual trans...wtf?

Comment

You have to look on the tranny for a sticker gl

Comment

Working...
                X