Brass Carrier Bushing DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brass Carrier Bushing DIY

I was getting frustrated with shifter slop, so the last time I had the trans out of the car I decided to try replacing the carrier bushing with a solid brass piece. I had heard it mentioned by someone else here - I want to say it was Stuck.

Anyway, quick shifter slop overview:

Parts that wear out and cause shifter slop are:

2 - The carrier bushing - it's rubber, and deteriorates with time. Held in by the infamous bitch clip.

8 - The rear carrier mount - there is a rubber bushing built into the metal bracket here.

10 - The selector rod - shitty, single shear design. Even with new plastic washers, it has quite a bit of slop.

13 - Selector "nub" - there is a bushing inside this part that usually gets contaminated with gear oil and deteriorates.

Unfortunately there isn't a simple DIY solution for the selector rod slop. You could fabricate something yourself, or buy a UUC DSSR.

However, you can work with 2, 8, and 13 with some simple hardware store parts to tighten up the shifter.

Firstly, you're going to need to get the carrier out of the car. This means removing the exhaust, driveshaft, ect. to get at the bitch clip.

Once you have it out of the car, take it and the bitch clip with you to a hardware store. Home Depot / Lowes may not have what you need - try hitting up a smaller dedicated hardware place. They should have brass bushings somewhere. Use the bitch clip to help size a bolt. You want the most snug fit possible - there was some mold flash in the hole of the carrier that prevented the bushing from being inserted more than about a 1/4 of its length. CAREFULLY using a dremel you can grind away on the carrier until the brass bushing fits nice and snugly. You want the carrier to be able to rotate on the bushing, but not allow any lateral play. You'll probably have to cut the bushing to fit in the 'ears' on the trans as well.

The finished bushing. I used the steel sleeve pictured earlier to center the bushing on the bolt, though this isn't really necessary.

Torque down the bolt, and you're good to go.

Now, for the rear carrier, there are a couple of simple solutions. You can buy a new one, use self tapping screws around the perimeter of the bushing itself to press against the carrier, or fill it with Honda Bond! :D

Honda Bond is just a type of RTV. There are gaps around the bushing you can fill. It won't do much, but it's simple. Just make sure you let whatever it is cure fully before you put it back in the car.

One final step is taking care of the "nub" - #13. You can take a small length of rubber fuel line and use it as a replacement bushing. You want it very snug, so it may take a few tries to get the right length piece in there. You should have to press pretty firmly to get the "nub" on far enough to drive its retaining pin back in.

Total cost was $5. I still need to pick up a DSSR to get rid of the rest of my slop, but there was still a drastic difference in shifter feel.

Horrible execution on your part.
    Sure its probably better than your worn out mushy bushings but what you did is pretty lame.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

That is going rattle like a mofo!

Third World Engineering FTL
      Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
      The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

this is a very bad idea.
        A. it needs to flex here so you dont put too much stress of the flanges
        B. you need washers to keep it from sliding left and right.
        C. the vibration is gonna suck so bad when you shifting.
        spend the $8.5 and get the right part. <-- link there
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

Having had this in my car for several months and two track days, I can safely say that none of the above happens. That's why it's important to have the carrier fit snug on the bushing. Since it's relatively fixed at the rear, it can't move side to side. There is a slight increase in vibration, but I didn't really notice.

And I'm not the first person who has done this, either

Comment

I think it's fine. Many cars have hardmounted shifter carriers without issues.
            cars beep boop

Comment

meh ,if you have spare crap to do it with then i guess its fine. but if your gonna spend anything then id just get the right part
              -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
              -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
              MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
              Got Drop?? ;-)
              Originally posted by JinormusJ
              But of course
              E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Hard mounted is fine depending on the application.
                This is not hard mounted.
                The carrier can still move side to side at the trans and I'm pretty sure it also moves front to back a bit.
                Fail.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

It doesn't move front to back, or side to side at all. Is a video required? o_o

Comment

Originally posted by Corey@Track.One View Post
                    CAREFULLY using a dremel you can grind away on the carrier until the brass bushing fits nice and snugly.
                    This is the problem. That hole is nowhere close to round and straight and probably has 30% or less contact area with the bushing. The aluminum will wear pretty quickly like this and then it will be loose.

Some really thick grease on the bushing would probably prolong the aluminum's lifespan.
                    Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

The carrier doesn't actually move that much. Or at all, really. The only thing that would cause the carrier to move would be shifting of the motor and transmission. The rear carrier mount has enough play to account for that.

As stated, it's been in there for six months of driving, including two track days. Time will tell as far as wear concerns, but it still feels just as snug as the day I did it.

If you need a video of me driving the car to see it staying put and not buzzing, then so be it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

what he is saying is that it may be "snug" right now OP, but that it will eventually cause itself to be worn and then it WILL move around. just put some washers in when it starts doing that.
                        -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                        -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                        MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                        Got Drop?? ;-)
                        Originally posted by JinormusJ
                        But of course
                        E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Maybe. I'm not entirely convinced that it will wear enough in a reasonable time frame, simply due to how little the assembly actually moves.

I would have mentioned it if it were ever an issue during the time it's been in the car. When I initially mounted it there was no side to side play whatsoever, so I didn't feel the need to go back and change it.

As said, it's been in the car six months and seen lots of hard driving. There has been no noticeable wear. The assembly simply doesn't move enough.

Comment

Having had this in my car for several months and two track days ... it can't move side to side.
                            It doesn't move front to back, or side to side at all.
                            The carrier doesn't actually move that much...
                            As stated, it's been in there for six months of driving, including two track days.

As said, it's been in the car six months and seen lots of hard driving... The assembly simply doesn't move enough.

What are you trying to say here Corey?

Oh, and welcome to r3v.
                            Lorin

The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

The first two are referring to undesired play in the carrier due to how it's currently secured in the car, the second to the movement of the carrier during normal operations that would result in wear.

Have I adequately addressed everyone's concerns? vv

Comment

Working...
                              X