driveshaft replacment question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

driveshaft replacment question

guys' i want to replace the rear section of my drive shaft. why just the rear? well, 2 years ago i bought a used shaft but my car is an e and when the shaft arrived, it was from an i. at the time i was a novice at e30's so what i did was used the front section from the i shaft and mated it to the rear section of my e shaft due to the mounting brackets for the csb being different. now the old e shaft is going bad. my question is, can i replace the back half of the shaft w/o removing the front half from the car. they are both marked for balencing so thats not an issue.
    sigpic

well i know kinda how you feel, when I got my replacement shaft from the junkyard they gave me one that only matched the back half of my old one, luckily i only needed the back half. When I replaced mine I happen to be swapping out my diff at the same time, but it seemed like I had to remove the diff to get it out anyways, but it was really close to making the shaft come out if i twisted it a bit more, I think my exhaust was getting in the way(not stock tubing)but I cant remember, so I think you'll probably just have to try one day I think its a 50 50 chance maybe? and mine being offset halves didn't cause a balancing issue so yea your good on that part at least
    sigpic
    benvideoproductions.com
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617yNrOrRfo&

Comment

take entire driveshaft to drive shaft shop with a new centere bearing, ask them to install and balance the unit as a whole.

this would be the proper approach to durability in driveline.
      OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Working...
      X