No announcement yet.

Transmission rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael, i would love it if youd give feedback on this.
    complication, amount of force required, procedures....

i have a press break and tooling it shouldnt be a problem, i would just like to hear how things go for you before i attempt this.

one tranny that i have has some considerable gear-lash. you guys think this is from worn cogs and extensive component replacement is required?

Comment

Bearing wear is probably a good cause of it.

If you are going to do this you will need a good, detailed diagram of the gearbox. If you hitup ebay you can find copies of the original bmw repair manual for the E30's, inside you will find a section dealing with just rebuilding the gearbox.
      Just a little project im working on
      - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

The press I ordered was on backorder, so I swapped my order around and should have it within a week or 2.
        Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
        '99 M3 / Track Car
        '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
        '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

I've done two manuals (never a BMW one though) and they werent too hard, just a little time consuming. I did them with an ancient pinion driven manual press too.

Comment

Alright... I have the press and it works. I was able to press out some trailing arm bushings, and a dif bushing. Control arm bushings will come later when I start building my track car...

Anyways. I want to get a set of REALLY good gear pullers. I have a feeling i'll be using them just as much as the press to pull the gears off the shafts (unless someone knows otherwise?).

I'll keep this thread up to date when I start. I still need to pull the tranny out of my parts car and get rid of all the parts so I have room to work. Will also need to make a large workbench for this.
            Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
            '99 M3 / Track Car
            '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
            '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Working...
            X