pulled the trans and now no reverse lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pulled the trans and now no reverse lights

when wee removed the trans we unplugged the connector and it wasnt damaged in any way. is it possible that the plug into the transmission might have gotten damaged or loose while lowering the trans and then replacing the trans? it was only out a few minutes and wasn't mishandled while it sat on the ground.
    BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

I'm guessing the switch is a simple continuity or not type deal as theres only two pins on it. You could put the trans in reverse to check with a multimeter to see if the switch itself is bad. Did you make sure the connector is seated correctly near the shift lever as well as the one on the trans? Sometimes the wires next to the Shifter can break over time. You could try leaving the key in the on position and trans in reverse while wiggling the wires while someone watches the reverse lights. If that fails well you'll probably need to do more troubleshooting with a multimeter, check fuses etc

Comment

ok on the harness side im getting 11.7 volts, on the switch side im reading no connection in neutral and 90 ohms in reverse, so i need to know if the 90 ohm reading is good or bad? too high? or do i need to get deeper in the harness? the bulbs are good the fuse is good.

where do i go from here?

Comment

so youre saying with the trans in reverse and the ohmmeter touching both pins on the reverse switch theres 90 ohms of resistance? i would think with a good switch there would be less than 1 ohm. looking at a wiring diagram for backup lights: http://www.wedophones.com/Manuals/BM...g%20Manual.pdf

power goes into the switch on the gn/wt wire, and comes out on the bu/wt wire to the backup light bulbs. from your description the first part is fine and powers going into the switch. you should probably check the bu/wt wire for voltage where it comes back out of the switch. if you dont have voltage there the switch is likely bad, there is a bad connection on that connector, or the switch is not being engaged correctly for whatever reason. if you do have voltage there the problem is further downstream on the path from the bu/wt wire to the backup lights.

Comment

Check connector C301, a 2-pin connector at the base of the shift lever. If memory serves, the wires from the reverse switch go through the rubber boot at the base of the shifter, and could easily be pulled loose, or cut/damaged.

Comment

If you dont get reverse light with the switch plugged in and trans in reverse, remove the plug from the switch and jump it with a paper clip or similar to eliminate everything but the switch. If you get a reverse light, the switch is bad, if not it's prob somewhere else.
            Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
            The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ851 View Post
              If you dont get reverse light with the switch plugged in and trans in reverse, remove the plug from the switch and jump it with a paper clip or similar to eliminate everything but the switch. If you get a reverse light, the switch is bad, if not it's prob somewhere else.

thanks for the advise, i was going to do that yesterday but college got in the way... hopefully ill have time after work tonight, ill report back

does 90 ohms sound high?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck C View Post
                Check connector C301, a 2-pin connector at the base of the shift lever. If memory serves, the wires from the reverse switch go through the rubber boot at the base of the shifter, and could easily be pulled loose, or cut/damaged.

thats the connector i am testing, but thanks for the connector number, ill be able to tell people something other than that white one under the shift boot now. :mrgreen:

Comment

Working...
                X