broken clutch master?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken clutch master?

me and some buddies were working on bleeding the system for 3 days now and having no luck i got under the dash and noticed the clutch master end was not touching the cruise control safety switch. now obviously i knew that was bad so i pulled up on the clutch pedal and it popped up to where it is supposed to be, and now at the "correct" top of the pedal movement when pushing down with my hand i get a pop and the clutch pedal falls about an inch then begins to disengage the clutch,beyond this it is working perfectly and through repeated jiggling of the pedal i was able to get it to "catch" and start disengaging at the top of the movement proving that there is no air in the lines and otherwise the system is working perfectly. i have searched for an hour and have found 0 results on a pop from the clutch master cylinder. im at a loss, this is the second master cylinder in 4 months to go into this car and it is now doing the exact same thing as the first one when it failed.

please help :bow:
    BroWorks.com Bro is a lifestyle

Check the pedal box and clutch pedal arm for bent or cracked parts.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

is there something i should look for specifcally in the pedal box? the linkage seems to be working fine, the pop and subsequent drop is coming from the clutch master... do you have any idea of what it is inside the master that is broken

where should i order one that will last through the bleeding process...

Comment

The clutch master is a simple hydraulic cylinder. There is nothing in it that would cause a pop that I know of. Therefore the problem lies somewhere else.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Ok, ill take another look at the pedal assembly. Is the rod that attaches the master to the pedal supposed to move around freely or should the master cylinder be a solid unit that only goes in and out of the cylinder l?

Comment

Apologies for jacking your thread, but maybe we can help each other?

I replaced my clutch master cylinder in the past couple of days, bled with pressure bleeder, but it still doesn't feel right.

The pushrod on my old cylinder felt extremely floppy in the cylinder bore. The new one moved around a little bit, but was not floppy.

I don't get a pop, but it does feel like the pedal travels for 1.5 inches or so before there is any resistance. Mine also must not be engaging the cruise control switch as I cannot engage cruise.

Bentley manual says there should be 10 inches (plus or minus a small amount) between the front bottom edge of the pedal and the floorboard, but mine measures about 7 inches. The pedal seems to be even with the brake pedal though, so another 3 inches would seem like way too much.

My next steps:
            There is some kind of spring in the mechanism, up very high on the firewall, which the Bentley manual says to check. Also going to remove the clutch slave cylinder and bleed again with the bleed valve pointing up so bubbles can rise.

Comment

it turns out it was the clutch master cylinder. it was broken internally. the c shaped washer that holds the ball ended push rod in place and pulls the cylinder up had popped out. its fixed but still not totally disengaging the clutch all the way

Comment

I've been driving mine with only having re bled. There is still a little pedal play, but seems to be operating fine. It's gotten me to jobs in west Los Angeles and back twice now with plenty of 405 traffic.

Comment

Working...
                X