Manual ? M50 Swap Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual ? M50 Swap Questions

I currently have a late model air bag car and I have a few questions about the manual swap as it pertains to the m50 as well.

I don't want to buy parts now and have to rebuy them again.

I currently have:

Getrag 260, clutch and flywheel.

My questions are:

1) Is it true the pedal assemblies are different from the early and late models and also with the airbag equipped cars?

2) Can I modify (or replace) the master cylinder to the one necessary for the m50 with the auto m20 still installed?

It seems I'm going to have to pick up a g260 driveshaft and trans brace just to turn around and buy different ones for the m50 swap, is that correct?

Sorry for the noob questions, it's rather hard to search from your phone!

cant speak on pedals, but here is the scoop on the rest.

Driveshaft= manual E30 driveshaft from a G260 trans car.

Master Cyl= Standard E30 unit. no change from M20 to M50. being as you have an auto, you need a standard unit.

best bet would be to find an E30 in the yards with all the parts you need and grab them from one car. this should ensure that you get all the sundry little shit parts you need in one go.
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
      cant speak on pedals, but here is the scoop on the rest.

Driveshaft= manual E30 driveshaft from a G260 trans car.

Master Cyl= Standard E30 unit. no change from M20 to M50. being as you have an auto, you need a standard unit.

best bet would be to find an E30 in the yards with all the parts you need and grab them from one car. this should ensure that you get all the sundry little shit parts you need in one go.

I was under the impression that the firewall had to be slotted and the MC slid over 3" for the M50? That's why I put that part in there. That's why I posted this, I'm always open to easier options! haha.

Comment

Originally posted by ZenkiOwns View Post
        I was under the impression that the firewall had to be slotted and the MC slid over 3" for the M50? That's why I put that part in there. That's why I posted this, I'm always open to easier options! haha.

1/2 to 3/4 inch is all that is needed for the swap. either that or change to the E21 or Porsche 944 booster. any of these can be done in advance of the swap
        I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

Comment

Originally posted by scottinAZ View Post
          1/2 to 3/4 inch is all that is needed for the swap. either that or change to the E21 or Porsche 944 booster. any of these can be done in advance of the swap

Thank you sir.

Comment

Working...
          X