Late (89)325i 260 tranny to Early (86)325e car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late (89)325i 260 tranny to Early (86)325e car

I know this has been covered before but in my perusing's it seems a lot of info was either incorrect or inconsistent. Either way, I just swapped a MM 260 sport OD tranny into my 86' ALPINA C2 / 2.7. which was built off a 86e car.

Relatively easy to do if you have a good machine shop.

Here is the long and short of it :
    You have to take the e flywheel ( dual mass) down to a single mass and yes you can lighten to around 17lbs, any lighter and you may have idle issues. Relocate the sensor( key) on flywheel to new location ( same rotational location as on the original e flywheel) and also reset to different depth as the sensor bosses on the later tranny case are likely to be offset rotationally about 16.25mm from the ones on the original 260 e tranny and offset in due to tranny case being deeper. Drill and tap/step tap bosses on later tranny to accept flywheel sensors. Should be able to use the original throw out bearing and clutch assembly. Main issues are that tranny housings and bell housing boss locations are likely to be offset on later tranny's , measure, measure and re-measure to make sure the new flywheel sensor (key) is located in the exact same place when as the old sensor location at TDC so the ignitions sensors are picking up the information from the flywheel key( sensor )in the same place as before.

Happy Wrenching !

Michael
Working...
X