'91 318is Diff Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'91 318is Diff Question

Having trouble finding the answers in the archive...what diff does this care come with? it's a 5-speed, not an auto...

Is it the large case LSD diff or the small case open diff? that's pretty much what I'm after.

Dave

there are opens and LSDs in both large and small cases. To know what yours is, look at the metal tag on the rear cover of the diff.
    BEERTECH

Comment

the 1991 318is will come with:

an open small case 4.10 differential or,

a limited slip small case 4.10 differential.

Mine came with an open 4.10, but I swapped in an LSD 4.10. Both small case, easy swap.

The e30 M3 came with a medium case 4.10 LSD, I believe, and it is compatible with the 318is, I believe, but don't quote me.

I think "large case" diffs are reserved for the seven series cars or something.
      318is -gone-

Comment

I thought for some reason some had a 3.91 LSD? Or is that like some autotragic something or other?
        BEERTECH

Comment

alright let me rephrase my question. Will the 4.10lsd from my E30 m3 bolt right into the '91 318is? Or, do I need to swap out rear subframes to accomodate the larger diff that the M3 and 325's have?

I'm looking into a 318is to do an S50 swap, I'm trying to figure out which diff the car comes with as I'm making out a parts list of things needed for said swap

thanks

dave

Comment

Yes, the large case diff will bolt right into the 318is chassis. I know, my old 318is has an E30 M3 4.10LSD in it, and we just recently bolted a 3.73LSD big case into Spoon's car for the M50 swap.

"See, we're adding a little something to this month's sales contest. As you all know, first prize is a Cadillac Eldorado. Anyone wanna see second prize? Second prize is a set of steak knives. Third prize is you're fired."

Comment

thanks for the info Matt,

Did the diff bolt right up to the 318 half shafts?

Comment

Working...
              X