Need Help ASAP- E30 Touring 5 Spd. Conversion Trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help ASAP- E30 Touring 5 Spd. Conversion Trouble

Just finishing up this 5 spd conversion, and can't figure out the wiring. The harness isn't like the other E30's we've worked on. I am wondering if this is a euro-specific thing? This car has been imported, originally from Japan, then B.C, now here in the US. Also had the 4HP22EH trans, with the selectable shift settings.

Here is a picture of the Touring's chassis-side harness (on the left) and one pulled out of a standard US spec late model parts car (right side). There is quite a difference in the wiring.

Does anyone have experience with this setup? I need to know which wires to splice and jump to get this car to start. Already poured through many many write ups and wiring schematics, just keep finding different info that doesn't match these wire colors.

Thanks for any help or knowledge you can share

Bahama Beige E23 Project
    Bluebird Bus Conversion
    New Oregon Trail

Connect one side of an ohmmeter to the starter solenoid control lug and check each wire in the plug for connectivity. If the starter control lead runs directly through the plug you'll find the wire the wire to the starter. The wire that goes hot when the key is turned to start is the other side of the connection you need to make. My guess, based on wire colors, would be the green/black pair.

Other than that, you'll have to follow the start wire from the ignition switch.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Saw this from E30Tech from a guy called Peerless. I'm not sure if this is allowed though. I've got the same tranny on my car, and I'm trying to figure out myself. I'm contemplating a swap in the not so distant future.

"Got some wiring tips for you swappers out there. Its very simple.

After you disconnect the auto stick setup and toss it out the window with a crash your left with a connector with some wires. Let me break them down for you real quick.

GRN/YLW is power to the reverse light (and the shift indicator light for the auto console.
      BRN is ground for the auto console indicator (Not needed and not used)
      GRN/BLK is the 2 power outputs to the start relay and the injection electronics. The function via the shift safety switch was that it would direct power from the GRN/YLW to the GRN/BLK only in park or neutral position.

So in order to bypass it we only need to jumper GRN/YLW to GRN/BLK

This is what you start with;

Disconnect the back-up light switch and cut the rest of the wires;

Jumper the 2 GRN/BLK to the GRN/YLW (GRN/WHT before the connection)

Here is a picture of it done. (Nasty black mold, yuck. Cleaned it all with carpet cleaner, now its clean and smells fresh. Can't have a girls car stinking like old mildew)

Get your console all cleaned up and get it put back together. Add in the shift knob of your choice and your ready to shift.

You will need a 5 speed driveshaft, so why not start fresh so you don't need to ever worry about it again. This shaft actually had locked up u-joints so a rebuild was required.

Gotta love personalized service, Angela for the win!

Comment

By the way, where is the tranny ECU located?

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I got it to started up now

Bahama Beige E23 Project
          Bluebird Bus Conversion
          New Oregon Trail

Comment

Just took this diagram into the shop with me, and am finding that it doesn't apply to this car. The harness I am working with doesn't have a GRN/YEL wire in it. The one from the US spec car does.
            I took apart the shift handle and found the wires for each gear detent. Park position was BL/YEL so I jumped that into the GRN/WHT coming off the car. Getting my power source. That got the car to start, and drive just fine. Now I have to figure out the reverse lights. Just plugging in the trans connector doesn't seem to work. I wonder if the switch in the trans is bad..... Any ideas for me on the reverse lights?

Bahama Beige E23 Project
            Bluebird Bus Conversion
            New Oregon Trail

Comment

Working...
            X