Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flywheel conversion question 325es (Dual mass to single mass)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel conversion question 325es (Dual mass to single mass)

I'm planning to change the clutch on my car very soon so I did some research regarding flywheel resurfacing. I currently have an 06/86 325es which I believe is a dual mass flywheel. From what I've read most shops are not willing to resurface a dual mass flywheel. If I where to use the flywheel from an early model 325e (single mass) I assume I would also need the corresponding clutch kit? Is there any other things needed to convert my flywheel? Also would I need shorter flywheel bolts? Thanks!
    Last edited by CW325; 07-22-2012, 08:34 PM.

I haven't looked to see if the clutch part numbers are the same, but you can check at realoem.com.

You should always use new pressure plate and flywheel bolts.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks! I just checked realOEM and it looks like the clutches have different part numbers. It also looks like the single mass 325e have different part numbers for the flywheel bolts but according to realOEM they are discontinued. Would I be ok using flywheel bolts from a dual mass 325e?

Comment

I think the flywheel bolts for an M20B25 flywheel would work.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

You probably also need the euro 323i throw out bearing which is a little bit longer to make up for the length. I have a late model eta transmission on my 325i. The eta used a dual mass while i's are single and it required the longer TOB. Otherwise the clutch wont engage.

Comment

But the pre 06/86 325e also had a single mass flywheel so I assume if I but the throwout bearing for an early 325e than it should be the correct part.

Comment

If you use the clutch & throwout bearing called for in an engine that came with the single mass flywheel you'll have the right parts.

Comment

Don't forget to make sure your new flywheel has a reference pin at TDC. Use the one you're taking out to get the location correct.

Comment

Thanks! Didn't know the location mattered!

Comment

Working...
                    X