transmission leak, need thicker oil?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission leak, need thicker oil?

I changed the seals in my 265/6 tranny and put redline MTL in. Since then, it has been very slowly dripping from the bell housing/tranny connection. After the first hot day and hard drive since the new seals and fluid, I have a big puddle of tranny fluid the next morning. Before changing the front seal again, I'd like to try a thicker oil which might solve my leak.

Does anyone have a similar experience with MTL after fresh seals and have a solution? I'm thinking Motul 80w-90 or Pennzoil synthetic 75w90 GL-4

A thicker fluid may reduce the rate of loss but it probably won't eliminate it. Assuming the seal was correctly installed I'd guess that there is a groove worn into the output shaft. A fix for that is to seat the seal in a different position.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks Jim, always helpful. Next step is the worst step - trying to pull the tranny out. uhg.

Comment

Getting the transmission out is never easy, but you can reduce the level of difficulty by disconnecting the motor mounts and raising the front of the engine as high as you can with the transmission cross member removed. That will give much better access to the top bolts. I find it just about as fast to pull the engine & transmission together and separate them on the ground.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          Getting the transmission out is never easy, but you can reduce the level of difficulty by disconnecting the motor mounts and raising the front of the engine as high as you can with the transmission cross member removed. That will give much better access to the top bolts. I find it just about as fast to pull the engine & transmission together and separate them on the ground.
          Because it is the M3 tranny, it actually disconnects from the bell housing so there are no top bolts but I have to drop the driveshaft in order to slide it off and the clutch slave has to go for access to one of the bell bolts (I hate it's top bolt).

Comment

FYI, leak was fixed by changing from MTL to Redline's lightweight shockproof. Not a drop for weeks since.

Comment

Working...
            X