Lightened Flywheel Chatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lightened Flywheel Chatter

Why do lightened flywheels make the "chattering/marbles in your gear box" noise? I'm curious to know what causes the noise because the wheel is lighter.

Thanks
    1989 US E30 Cammed S52
    Under Construction: 1983 Euro E28 Cammed LQ9/LS3 Heads/Jakeb E28 LSx Kit

Originally posted by ACHTUNG
    Why do lightened flywheels make the "chattering/marbles in your gear box" noise? I'm curious to know what causes the noise because the wheel is lighter.

Thanks
    Are you running an alluminum flywheel, or a shaved down stock flywheel? how light is it?

Comment

I don't have one. I'm looking into the aluminum ones right now. Kind of pricey. I wanted to know what causes the chattering noise. I don't understand why it would make a noise just because it's lighter. I don't really care if it makes the noise. I'm just curious.
      1989 US E30 Cammed S52

Comment

Lighter, so its more prone to vibrations? Possibly the reason.

Comment

I believe that the rattle is from the gears, as the noise is usually only with the clutch engaged (pedal released). The lighter flywheel doesn't smooth out the power pulses of the engine as well as a stock flywheel.
          '91 318is
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
            I believe that the rattle is from the gears, as the noise is usually only with the clutch engaged (pedal released). The lighter flywheel doesn't smooth out the power pulses of the engine as well as a stock flywheel.

That's how I understand it, and you can lessen the noise by using different tranny fluid. My friend just got the UUC flywheel+M5 clutch kit for his '99 M3. Had mad chatter coming out of the shop, but a 50/50 mix of ATF and gear oil from redline cut the chatter in 1/2.
            Michael Spiegle

'01 Ford Escape / Daily Driver
            '99 M3 / Track Car
            '87 325is bronzit / wtf car
            '06 Daytona Triumph 675 / Daily Rider

Comment

Are you sure its coming from the gears in the tranny?

I always experienced chatter in nuetral. The flywheel acts kindof as a balancer to smooth out your motor. With the less mass there, the vibrations are going to be more, there fore causeing anything and everything to chatter thats loose or has clearence.

I guess I answered my own question - HAH, but hopefully that gives you some more food for your thought.

Kyle
              1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
              DILLIGAF

Comment

I have a 8.8 lb flywheel on my Acura and I don't have any chattering. I don't see why the flywheel would cause this at all. Unless it's during slip. Or if you have a stage 3 clutch.
                Last edited by joshh; 12-02-2005, 10:24 PM.
                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents. Charity is no part of the legislative duty of the [federal] government." ~ James Madison

‎"If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen" Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer8604
                  Are you sure its coming from the gears in the tranny?

I always experienced chatter in nuetral.
                  When your transmission is in neutral and your foot is off the clutch, the input shaft is spinning because the clutch is engaged, and the power pulses cause it to rattle.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm
                  Last edited by Brew; 12-02-2005, 10:54 PM.
                  '91 318is
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brew
                    When your transmission is in neutral and your foot is off the clutch, the input shaft is spinning because the clutch is engaged, and the power pulses cause it to rattle.

EDIT: Here you go: http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm
                    Nice link. That's the answer. you get an A.
                    1989 US E30 Cammed S52

Comment

My friends 92 325i has very bad chatter, with a 12lb flywheel. My 89 325iS with a 7.5 lb flywheel doesn't have any chatter. I guess i'm just lucky :)

Comment

Thanks brew. Makes sense now. So its the input shaft thats rattling, or is it the mainshaft/countershaft thats rattling?

I think a part of it was also my crankshaft endplay... the noise would go away as I applied the clutch

Kyle
                        1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                        DILLIGAF

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer8604
                          Thanks brew. Makes sense now. So its the input shaft thats rattling, or is it the mainshaft/countershaft thats rattling?

I think a part of it was also my crankshaft endplay... the noise would go away as I applied the clutch

Kyle
                          When you say "as I applied the clutch", do you mean as you press the pedal towards the floor? Because thats when the clutch disengages and the input shaft becomes disengaged from the engine.
                          '91 318is
                          sigpic

Comment

When I say apply the clutch, i mean pressing the pedal, disengaging.

Kyle
                            1988 M3, 97 840, 99 XJ
                            DILLIGAF

Comment

Working...
                            X