Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advance GSP axles--Long-term experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advance GSP axles--Long-term experience?

Does anyone have long-term experience with the GSP axles that Advance Auto Parts sells new for $70? Or is long-term experience with them an impossibility? All of the threads I've found that mention them basically say, "I put one on; we'll see if it lasts." So... do they?

-Dave
    Schwartz '87 325 4-door
    Colorado '71 2002

The problem I've had with those is that the outer boot is wrong and rubs on the shock. Other than that if you get a good set they will last.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Go to napa, and get a set, better than the china made ones you get at advanced.

Comment

Thanks for the input.

-Dave
        Schwartz '87 325 4-door
        Colorado '71 2002

Comment

The NAPA-brand ones or Altrom?

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

I wound up going with the GSP axle, since it was $66 shipped to my door with one of those ubiquitous Advance discounts. I am pleased--so far--for the price. It's much quieter than the worn-out old one, anyway. The outboard boot does rub on the shock at full suspension extension (hanging from jack stands). However, at normal ride height, there is clearance. There was no sign of rubbing after a spirited and winding test drive, but I'll keep tabs on it. The problem is that there are only two bellows on the new boot, and instead of tapering down from the hub to the axle, they actually increase in size. But I hope that it will work, as long as I don't rename my E30 the General Lee.

The axle slid right into the hub easy as could be. I'd read horror stores about rebuilt axles having galling or otherwise messed-up splines, but that wasn't an issue with the brandy-spankin' new ones.

Also, the new axle included new differential flange bolts, but they had male Torx heads, for which I had no suitable socket. I just cleaned and reused the original female hex bolts.

And they provided a new axle nut at the hub, a 32mm instead of the 30mm original. It is a locking nut, and I cranked it on with my impact wrench, but I still plan to get a new locking plate tomorrow and see if it will go over the larger nut.

I will report back on longevity and whether I wind up using the lifetime warranty. For the price, I thought it was worth the gamble.

-Dave
            Schwartz '87 325 4-door
            Colorado '71 2002

Comment

Originally posted by dlhoovler View Post
              I will report back on longevity and whether I wind up using the lifetime warranty. For the price, I thought it was worth the gamble.

-Dave
              Old thread. Dlhoovler, can you report back after years of use for the GSP axles? The general opinion of these is very mixed.

Comment

Working...
              X