Auto wont shift out of 1st, until all warmed or redlined

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto wont shift out of 1st, until all warmed or redlined

Hey, this is my first post, so please bear with me. I did an auto to 5-speed swap, and I want to make sure my auto works before i sell it to someone.

When the car is cold in the morning, I have to let the auto in drive, and sit there for awhile with the engine running so that it could warm up. It will shift fine if I do that every morning.

Or, I can drive with the car in first but it wont shift out of 1st for about a half mile, but then it will shift fine.

Or, I can be a complete jackass and rev the engine to redline when the engine is completely cold, but the tranny will shift when it hits redline.

Regardless of what I do, it will shift totally fine after the initial shift into first.

I have read the other threads, and it seems that I should check/change the ATF, or that some valve could be crap. Is all I should have to do? I appreciate any suggestions! Thanks, and sorry for the long-winded-ness.

-Andrew
    I really need to make a new signature.

The first thing I would do is change the ATF and filter.

That usually solves most problems unless its too late. If it still does it, there is not much you can do but rebuild it.

Comment

or swappy swap
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

So I should start out by changing the atf? And what filtter is that? I have absolutely no knowledge of automatics. in fact, I hate them. Thats why I already did the swap. i'm trying to make sure my old one works.Thanks for the replies, that was quick!
        I really need to make a new signature.

Comment

When I had an auto in my car, it did that to me once after it was REALLY cold one night, just straight to redline without shift.

I let it idle in P for a few min and it fixed itself, never came back until I ripped the bastard out.

Comment

The Bentley Manual states that a majority of the automatic's shifting and drivability problems can be solved with a simple fluid flush and filter change.
            R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

Working...
            X