z3 shifter woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

z3 shifter woes

Has anyone else noticed hard shifts to second gear when using a Z3 shifter? I feel as though when driving at a normal pace the shifter will find its spot. However, when driving spirited It does not find second.

I installed it before ever driving the car so I dont know any different but I can tell you for sure it is not the transmission as I swapped it out for another unit and the two of them exude the same symptoms. Also, the clutch is new.

The car never grinds when trying to find the gear it just does not find its way in much like as though its hitting a wall. Once the revs calm down and I keep forcing at it, it does find its way into gear. This is a huge deal breaker for me as I will want to drive the car in rallycross and other racing type events.

Please help me out.

Do you have a harmonic balancer still ? My g/f's car hits it I'm 2nd goes in a bit tight I have the same shifter with no balancer and it's fine
    -His-
    87 e30 325i
    87 e24 m6
    05 e83 x3
    94 e32 740i 5spd
    -Hers-
    89 e30 325i
    18 f48 x1

Comment

I don't think so its an ETA car so I'm not sure if it came with one. A Harmonic balancer is a device the goes around the driveshaft right?

Comment

If you are experiencing this problem on down shifts, you need to learn how to double de-clutch and rev match. If on an up shift, slow the shift down slightly. In either case it sounds like you are fighting the second gear syncros.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
          If you are experiencing this problem on down shifts, you need to learn how to double de-clutch and rev match. If on an up shift, slow the shift down slightly. In either case it sounds like you are fighting the second gear syncros.
          Sometimes, I'll jam it so hard when trying to pull second that I'll pull the shifter knob right off the arm. It just doesn't seem right to me, maybe I'll try the old shifter as I still have it lating around. Or maybe I'll try a knob that locks to the arm a little better then the current setup.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

One more question, if the shifter arm were backwards would the car still shift?

Comment

If it was backwards I think it would be harder to put in second and fourth might be your problem

Comment

Working...
            X