Clutch Disc Thickness Tolerance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch Disc Thickness Tolerance?

Bought a new clutch kit from GripForce and the new clutch disc is about 1/2 to 2/3 the thickness of the used clutch disc that I pulled out of the car.

After install the clutch will not engage and slips. The car will move slightly, but never fully engages the clutch. Giving the car gas does nothing.

I'm thinking that due to the reduced thickness of the clutch disc the natural pressure placed on the PP by the TO bearing is allowing the disc to move just far enough away from the FW to cause no engagement.

The plastic nipple and spring were both replaced at time of clutch install

Wondering what the clutch disc thickness tolerance is before a disc is considered bad? Wondering if I was sent the wrong disc and if due to it's thinner profile it isn't thick enough for full engagement.

Thoughts?

--->>>1988 SETA 2.7i Build Thread (Turbo Prep)<<<---

the clutch disc should match the pressure plate. If they sent them to you as a matched combo, you need to contact them. I do know a stock clutch is too thick for an upgraded clutchmasters pressure plate and it won't release.

I have a clutchmasters setup and the clutch itself is about 2/3rds of the thickness of a stock unit. The pressure plate has added straps, hence the need for a thinner disc.

If you don't have added straps, you may be able to get away with the stock disc back in....but i'd still contact the company you bought it from. No point in putting a used disc back in, besides you paid for a new one!
    '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

Working...
    X